Janet Jackson proves she deserves another chance on Discipline

In the four years since 144 million viewers saw Janet Jackson’s boob on the Super Bowl halftime show, the historically bankable pop star has failed to score a number one album. And it’s not like she hasn’t tried. Perhaps the result of a backlash to her televised nudity, both 2004’s Damita Jo and 2006’s 20 Y.O. bombed.

But the singer is looking to change her losing streak with this year’s Discipline, her 10th studio album. Backed by a new record label and written and produced by new collaborators, the collection demonstrates Jackson’s keenness to turn the page on her career.

For an artist who has scored multiple number one singles in the last three decades, the first single “Feedback” demonstrates her respectable versatility. With a thumping European beat and Janet’s coy falsetto vocals, it is a song you’ll want to remember to download. Also check out “LUV” and “Rock With U,” two songs that will make you happy you gave Janet a third chance.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nick@miami.edu and can be read at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...