Culture

Janet Jackson proves she deserves another chance on Discipline

In the four years since 144 million viewers saw Janet Jackson’s boob on the Super Bowl halftime show, the historically bankable pop star has failed to score a number one album. And it’s not like she hasn’t tried. Perhaps the result of a backlash to her televised nudity, both 2004’s Damita Jo and 2006’s 20 Y.O. bombed.

But the singer is looking to change her losing streak with this year’s Discipline, her 10th studio album. Backed by a new record label and written and produced by new collaborators, the collection demonstrates Jackson’s keenness to turn the page on her career.

For an artist who has scored multiple number one singles in the last three decades, the first single “Feedback” demonstrates her respectable versatility. With a thumping European beat and Janet’s coy falsetto vocals, it is a song you’ll want to remember to download. Also check out “LUV” and “Rock With U,” two songs that will make you happy you gave Janet a third chance.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nick@miami.edu and can be read at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...