Group hosts intercollegiate Indian dance competition

Eight teams from several different out-of-state universities will battle it out in Miami using their hands and feet – and a pair of embroidered sticks.

The Indian Students Association will be hosting Miami Mayhem, the University of Miami’s first intercollegiate Indian dance competition, at the Jules Littman Performing Arts Center in North Miami Beach this Saturday.

The competing teams will be performing Raas, a traditional Indian folk dance that comes from the western state of Gujarat and involves the use of two decorated sticks called dhandiyas. Dressed in colorful Indian garb, the dancers move their feet and arms to the beat of heavy, up-tempo drums.

The dance consists of “highly complex choreography as well as intricate formations,” co-chair Amar Mandalia said.

The 17-member ISA committee has been planning the event since last April. The idea came about after the Hurricane Raas team was not one of the chosen universities to compete. Mandalia and others then decided to host their own competition.

There were 18 teams that applied to compete and the committee watched the videos submitted by each one. They judged each based on the strength of the team’s lineup and the appeal they would have to the audience. The committee narrowed it down to eight teams, who will compete for more than $3,500 in cash and prizes.

Meera Patel, the captain of the Raas team hailing from Michigan State, said they are participating because they want to experience Miami’s warm weather and get their school team’s name out.

“Kids aren’t even aware there is a dance form Raas,” Patel said. She said she felt that people should come to the competition because it promotes cultural awareness.

At Miami Mayhem, each team’s performance is based on a theme. Some of them include Harry Potter, the movie 300, Saved by the Bell and Guitar Hero.

Mandalia said that there are currently 33 college Raas teams in the country, and Indian dance competitions are gaining popularity on campuses.

“We’re showcasing how big the actual scene is,” she said.

Farah Dosani may be contacted at f.dosani1@umiami.edu.

To Know: Tickets range from $15 – 25 and are being sold in the UC breezeway from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Friday. Transportation to the event will be provided.

The teams participating come from Drexel University, Duke University, University of Maryland, University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Penn State University, University of California-Berkley and University of Florida. The program also includes exhibition acts by Pine Crest Bhangra and KAOS.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...