Faith and science talk did not live up to the hype

Last Thursday, Craig Hazen gave a talk entitled “Is faith reasonable in a scientific world?” He began with a joke about a sauna in Finland, told a funny story about cats and buttered toast and then, with much fanfare, he performed a “miracle.” This was [nothing more than] religious entertainment. No wonder I recognized no other professors in the room.

I found the evening to be interesting and Professor Hazen to be entertaining, but far less scientific than he imagines. I was disappointed that his talk did not live up to the hype of the publicity. He seems to be an entertainer, not a deep thinker. I wanted to know how one can believe in creationism when we all know that evolution is real. I heard other students say the same. I guess we were hoping for more than “I found my faith, now seek and find your own.”

– Rod Gillis

Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Psychology

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...