Faith and science talk did not live up to the hype

Last Thursday, Craig Hazen gave a talk entitled “Is faith reasonable in a scientific world?” He began with a joke about a sauna in Finland, told a funny story about cats and buttered toast and then, with much fanfare, he performed a “miracle.” This was [nothing more than]religious entertainment. No wonder I recognized no other professors in the room.

I found the evening to be interesting and Professor Hazen to be entertaining, but far less scientific than he imagines. I was disappointed that his talk did not live up to the hype of the publicity. He seems to be an entertainer, not a deep thinker. I wanted to know how one can believe in creationism when we all know that evolution is real. I heard other students say the same. I guess we were hoping for more than “I found my faith, now seek and find your own.”

– Rod Gillis

Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Psychology

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...