Eclectic Erykah Badu blends hip-hop, funk, electronica with ease

Erykah Badu is back and ready to shake up the neo-soul world she helped create. With assistance from underground producers like Madlib, Shafiq Husayn and, posthumously, J Dilla, New AmErykah Part One (4th World War) is exactly what the hip-hop/R&B world needed.

Treading on a different path than her previous Worldwide Underground and Baduizm, Badu somehow jumps from pure funk to underground hip-hop to atmospheric electronica with ease. Opening with “AmErykahn Promise,” a funk-filled Roy Ayers sample blended with a more familiar high-pitched Badu chant, the album keeps you curious and intrigued. Soon after the opener is a rebuttal to Nas’ claim that “hip-hop is dead” with Badu and Madlib teaming up to say that “it’s bigger than religion – hip-hop.”

The socio-political theme Badu employs is prevalent throughout the album and is highlighted in the soulful melodies of “Soldier,” which addresses subjects such as Iraq, Sept. 11, and the New Orleans levee crisis.

In an awkward contrast, the single “Honey” is the album’s bonus track. It may come too late in the scheme of things, but at least the album goes out with a classic Badu-banger.

Joshua Newman may be contacted at j.newman4@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...