Eclectic Erykah Badu blends hip-hop, funk, electronica with ease

Erykah Badu is back and ready to shake up the neo-soul world she helped create. With assistance from underground producers like Madlib, Shafiq Husayn and, posthumously, J Dilla, New AmErykah Part One (4th World War) is exactly what the hip-hop/R&B world needed.

Treading on a different path than her previous Worldwide Underground and Baduizm, Badu somehow jumps from pure funk to underground hip-hop to atmospheric electronica with ease. Opening with “AmErykahn Promise,” a funk-filled Roy Ayers sample blended with a more familiar high-pitched Badu chant, the album keeps you curious and intrigued. Soon after the opener is a rebuttal to Nas’ claim that “hip-hop is dead” with Badu and Madlib teaming up to say that “it’s bigger than religion – hip-hop.”

The socio-political theme Badu employs is prevalent throughout the album and is highlighted in the soulful melodies of “Soldier,” which addresses subjects such as Iraq, Sept. 11, and the New Orleans levee crisis.

In an awkward contrast, the single “Honey” is the album’s bonus track. It may come too late in the scheme of things, but at least the album goes out with a classic Badu-banger.

Joshua Newman may be contacted at j.newman4@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...