This court is not for U

UM students truly sweat and bleed orange and green. That has been especially evident this year as students have consistently come out in force to support the improving basketball team.

At the end of last Wednesday’s astonishing victory over Duke, fans and students decided it was fitting to rush the court in celebration of their team beating the No. 4 team in the country. However, choke slams and shoves replaced joy during what should have been an exciting time for all fans in attendance.

In a statement provided to The Miami Hurricane, the administration said, “No one may violate University of Miami, NCAA, or Atlantic Coast Conference policies, which explicitly prohibit unauthorized individuals in the competition area before, during, and at the conclusion of the game.”

However, just three days before the UM game, Duke suffered another loss to fellow ACC member Wake Forest. After that game, the court was completely full.

If the administration claims that rushing the court was a safety issue, security and police hardly kept the environment safe. They kept pushing, even as students were trying to retreat into the stands. As a result, students were caught in the middle of a gigantic shoving match.

It seems justified that students and fans should have been allowed to rush the court in celebration, but the administration, police and security certainly didn’t think so.

The solution should be to announce the university’s policy against rushing the court, as well what the response would be. Another possibility could be ( ideally) to allow students to celebrate a momentous victory.

Either way, placing hundreds of fans and students in danger at a time of celebration certainly can’t be the best they can come up with.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...