SPORTS BRIEFS

Football
Canes recruiting success continues for 2009

National Signing Day 2008 has come and gone, but the University of Miami football program and coaching staff have not stopped working the recruitment trail. The Hurricanes recently received verbal commitments from running back Bryce Brown, possibly the nation’s top 2009 high school player and quarterback A.J. Highsmith. According to ESPN, both are ranked among the top 150 players for the class of 2009.

Diving
Two win individual events at ACC Championships

Sophomore Brittany Viola and freshman J.J. Kinzbach emerged from the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Swimming and Diving Championships with individual titles.

The weekend’s biggest winner was Viola, who became the first female diver to sweep all three diving events: one-meter springboard, three-meter springboard and platform. Viola was named Most Valuable Diver at the competition.

Kinzbach picked up his first career title by winning the men’s platform competition, besting second-place Dan Frebel of Florida State and third-place Mikey McDonald of Virginia Tech.

Tennis
Vallverdu duo move up collegiate rankings

In the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, UM men’s tennis All-American Daniel Vallverdu moved up three spots to fourth among the nation’s top collegiate singles players. Sibling Laura Vallverdu jumped 15 spots to No. 14.

Other ranked Hurricanes include freshman Bianca Eichkorn, who is No. 62; freshman Michaela Kissell, who is No. 70; and senior Romy Farah, who is No. 80.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...