Campus-wide power outages affect SG voting

POSTED FEB. 26 AT 4:30 P.M.
UPDATED FEB. 26 AT 4:50 P.M.

No air conditioning, no wireless Internet and no lights.

At about 1:09 p.m. the university lost power for more than an hour everywhere on campus, in addition to the University Village and the Gables One Tower — which houses the offices of Media Relations and Advancement and is located across the street on U.S. 1.

The outage started at Turkey Point power plant, according to CNN.com. The plant is located about 25 miles south of Miami in Florida City.

Roughly 1.7 million people initially lost power, which has since been restored to the university.

The campus will remain open for Tuesday night classes.

Although power was restored as soon as possible because the university is on the same power grid as Doctors Hospital, Student Government voting went down for more than two hours. The Elections Commission has decided to extend polling days until Thursday, said Megan Jones, head of the Elections Commission.

The voting calendar will be pushed back 24 hours, which means students will still be able to vote Wednesday night from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the residential colleges and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Breezeway on Wednesday and Thursday.

Some students have raised concerns about possible problems with their vote due to the outage, but Jones said that the commission doesn’t deal with things that are out of their control.

“If people were going to vote they should vote,” Jones said. “There’s nothing we can do about power outages.”

Continue to check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...