Campus-wide power outages affect SG voting

POSTED FEB. 26 AT 4:30 P.M.
UPDATED FEB. 26 AT 4:50 P.M.

No air conditioning, no wireless Internet and no lights.

At about 1:09 p.m. the university lost power for more than an hour everywhere on campus, in addition to the University Village and the Gables One Tower — which houses the offices of Media Relations and Advancement and is located across the street on U.S. 1.

The outage started at Turkey Point power plant, according to CNN.com. The plant is located about 25 miles south of Miami in Florida City.

Roughly 1.7 million people initially lost power, which has since been restored to the university.

The campus will remain open for Tuesday night classes.

Although power was restored as soon as possible because the university is on the same power grid as Doctors Hospital, Student Government voting went down for more than two hours. The Elections Commission has decided to extend polling days until Thursday, said Megan Jones, head of the Elections Commission.

The voting calendar will be pushed back 24 hours, which means students will still be able to vote Wednesday night from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the residential colleges and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Breezeway on Wednesday and Thursday.

Some students have raised concerns about possible problems with their vote due to the outage, but Jones said that the commission doesn’t deal with things that are out of their control.

“If people were going to vote they should vote,” Jones said. “There’s nothing we can do about power outages.”

Continue to check TheMiamiHurricane.com for updates.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...