BASEBALL: Season commences with sweep against Cincinatti

The Miami Hurricanes baseball team relied on strong starting pitching and newcomers to kick off the season with a series sweep of the Cincinnati Bearcats.

The Hurricanes had a two-run first inning and held on for a 3-1 victory on Friday.

Eric Erickson picked up where he left off last season, pitching six strike outs and allowing only one run on four hits in six innings of work. Third baseman Mark Sobolewski went 3-for-4 with an RBI, and freshman Joey Terdoslavich picked up an RBI single in the first plate appearance of his career.

Redshirt junior closer Carlos Gutierrez returned to the mound after undergoing Tommy John surgery last season. Gutierrez walked two batters in the ninth inning but closed the game with a strikeout for his first save of the season.

On Saturday, the Hurricanes rallied from 4-1 down with timely hitting from a pair of second-year players to come away with a 6-4 win. Sophomore Jason Hagerty changed the complexion of the game with one swing of the bat, a three-run homer to right that marked his first career round-tripper. With the score tied up 4-4 in the eighth, outfielder Dave Dinatale unloaded a solo home run to put the Hurricanes up for good.

“It was good to come through for the team after having a tough night last night,” said DiNatale, who was 0-for-4 Friday. “I’m just glad coach kept me in the lineup and gave me an opportunity to contribute.”

The Hurricanes tacked on another run and Gutierrez pitched the ninth for his second save in two chances.

“It was big win for us,” Coach Jim Morris said. “It was a good comeback for our team. Our bullpen was solid and if you are going to win big, you need a solid bullpen.”

Miami closed the series with an offensive outburst late in the game for an 8-0 victory yesterday. The Hurricanes lineup was stagnant in the first four innings until second baseman Jemile Weeks hit a key two-run double in the fifth with two outs to break a scoreless tie. Junior college transfer Adan Severino broke the game open with a two-run homer to right in his first career start.

“Today definitely helped me out a lot confidence-wise,” said Weeks, who is fully healthy after a groin injury last season.

The Hurricanes have to be pleased with the effort from its bullpen for the most part, which looks much improved from last season. Sophomore RHP Kyle Bellamy was dominant in three innings of work and struck out five batters. Sophomore RHP Michael Rudman threw two scoreless innings Saturday to keep the game tied, while junior RHP Jason Santana also threw an effective three innings out of the pen without allowing a run.

The Hurricanes play an exhibition game Tuesday against the Florida Marlins before welcoming the University of Florida Gators to Mark Light Field next weekend.

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...