A breakdown of the current construction on campus

About $20 million worth of construction has popped up almost everywhere around the University of Miami campus, with most projects expected to be finished by spring 2009.

Next to the BankUnited Center, the multipurpose and practice facility will be under construction until next fall. The 30,000 square-foot facility will house two practice courts for the UM basketball teams. It will also serve as a location for lectures and events and as a permanent location for commencement ceremonies, said Richard K. Jones, assistant vice president of Facilities, Design and Construction.

The Serpentine parking lot in front of the BankUnited Center will be under construction to add 408 parking spaces until the summer, Jones said.

The 11,000 square-foot clubhouse at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park, which wraps around the baseball stadium, will include new ticket booths, press boxes, suites, concession stands and locker rooms. The concession stands will be in permanent locations by April and the remainder of the clubhouse will open in February 2009.

The construction visible from the main entrance of the university is the new 4,100 square-foot Myrna and Sheldon Palley Pavilion. The Palley Pavilion is an expansion to the Lowe Art Museum and will house a 100-piece glass collection donated by the Palleys as well as other contemporary pieces donated to the university, said Brian Dursum, director of the Lowe Art Museum.

More information about current and future construction projects can be found on the Facilities Design and Construction Web site at miami.edu/facilities-planning.

Ashley Torres may be contacted at a.torres@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...