Wellness Center expansion set to begin this summer

Starting in May, the Wellness Center will undergo a 19,977 square foot expansion – its first since opening 12 years ago.

Though the project will begin during the 2008 summer break, students should expect construction disruptions continuing into the 2008-09 school year.

The fitness room at the core of the Wellness Center will be shut down for most of next academic year. During that time, Wellness Center Director Norman Parsons said the indoor gym adjacent to the fitness room will be the temporary home for the weights and cardio equipment. The quantities of that equipment will be determined by space.

Other closures may include the indoor pool, where windows will be replaced by doors, and the outdoor basketball courts, which will double as the staging area for construction.

Parsons said the improvements will cost an estimated $8.3 million, but the university is still “working on prospective donor funding,” he said, also noting that he does not think that tuition will increase based on the changes.

Though the expansion will cause disruption for returning students, many view the changes as an overall plus.

“Between 5 and 6 p.m. the Wellness Center is packed,” said Simone Branch, who has worked at the Wellness Center for a year. “Most people are out of class, they’ve eaten and most of the group exercise classes start around that time.”

For students looking for a less packed gym before expansion begins, early morning hours around 6 a.m. are the least crowded. Wellness Center workers estimate that although more alumni come early in the day, only about 30 students choose to workout before morning class. Also, WebMD says there is “no reliable evidence that suggests that calories are burned more efficiently at certain times of day.”

With all of the changes, the Wellness Center staff believes the expansion will create a healthier university community.

“The extra fitness room space and equipment will allow all patrons the opportunity to work out when they want,” Parsons said, also noting that he thinks this would “increase the fact that [people]will work out.”

Najwa-Monique Sharpe may be contacted at n.sharpe@umiami.edu.

Planned Additions

6,175 additional square feet in the fitness room, spanning the area from the fitness room to the indoor pool
More treadmills and elliptical machines
Two additional multipurpose rooms
A Pilates studio
A larger cycling room
Mounted TV monitors
Cardio machines with video screens

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...