Group hopes to up participation among students

With the 2008 election season now in full swing, Council for Democracy, a nonpartisan political organization, is using all its power to increase political awareness on campus. Its main initiative this year is to get as many students as possible to vote in the 2008 election.

“A lot of people on campus are not aware of the stances the different parties take on issues,” sophomore Kristina Rosales, president of the organization, said. “We are trying to educate them before the election in November.”

Council for Democracy will hold a mock debate later this semester. Members of the University of Miami Young Democrats and College Republicans will talk about their party’s stances on the issues.

The organization will also be hosting a speaker from the Clinton administration to discuss the importance of political activism and student involvement in politics.

Although it has been on campus for many years, Council for Democracy did not receive any recognition until this year when Rosales took over the organization. Last year, as a member of the UM Democrats, former president Johweyeh Lowenthal approached her about taking over his position.

Both Lowenthal, who ran for Student Government president last year, and Rosales, who is running for SG treasurer this year, hope that this time Council for Democracy can remain strong in between presidential election years.

“I thought it would be a good idea to have a group on campus that didn’t represent one of the two main views,” Rosales said.

Kiersten Schmidt may be contacted at k.schmidt@umiami.edu.

Council for Democracy’s next meeting is March 3 at 9 p.m. Contact councilfordemocracy@hotmail.com, or visit the Facebook group “Council for Democracy” for more information.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...