Dan Lazaro // Make it Happen for U

Dan Lazaro // Make it Happen for U

Running Mates: Kimberly Thompson, vice president; Kristina Rosales, treasurer
Year: Junior
Major: Business Administration
Campaign Web site: MakeItHappenForU.com
Color: Light blue

Experience

Interfraternity Council: president and former executive secretary
Phi Delta Theta fraternity: philanthropy chair, vice president and fundraising chair
Student Government: senator and Academic Affairs Committee member
School of Business: peer counselor

Platform Goals: Top 3

University shuttle improvement plan: Lazaro’s main platform goal is improving and expanding the shuttle system because “it affects every student, whether your have a car or not.” With this plan, he wants to decrease shuttle wait time while also expanding the Coconut Grove shuttle to fraternity row and University Village. Also, Lazaro and his running mates will look into having a Tuesday night shuttle, if there is demand.

Enterprise rental program: Similar to Committed to U’s Zip-Car service, Lazaro said he is looking out for freshmen and other students who do not, or will not, have cars next year. Lazaro noted that the program would be based off of a similar program already running at Emory University in Atlanta.

Green U expansion package: Lazaro said he is bothered everyday by the fact that he doesn’t have easy access to recycling. He plans to work with various campus organizations such as Earth Alert to expand recycling and greening options such as replacing light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.

The Rest

CaneFlix movie rental kiosk; expanded language course offerings; Cane Card use off campus; laptop and color printing; expanded cable package; Chartwells to-go hot liquid cups; improved course offerings; easily searchable scholarship database; healthy food options in vending machines; on-call health center services; Wall Street Journal in the business school; expansion of undergraduate research; major-specific peer advisors; increased salaries for work study employees; expansion of course reserves; back door wellness center entrance; supplement and health plan offerings at the Wellness Center; clear parking signs; case study trips abroad.

Fun Facts

If you could be an animal, what would you be?

“A dog. They have the most personality and they are always happy, and at the end of the day they are always there for you.”

Describe a perfect date:

“Starting off meeting and talking, and then probably lunch for a first date. Just getting to know each other and take it as it goes.”

What would your campaign theme song be?

“If You Believe in Magic” by the Lovin’ Spoonful.

If you could be anyone else on campus for one day, who would that be and why?

“President Shalala. It would be cool to make all the big decisions that really affect students.”

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...