Dan Lazaro // Make it Happen for U

Dan Lazaro // Make it Happen for U

Running Mates: Kimberly Thompson, vice president; Kristina Rosales, treasurer
Year: Junior
Major: Business Administration
Campaign Web site: MakeItHappenForU.com
Color: Light blue

Experience

Interfraternity Council: president and former executive secretary
Phi Delta Theta fraternity: philanthropy chair, vice president and fundraising chair
Student Government: senator and Academic Affairs Committee member
School of Business: peer counselor

Platform Goals: Top 3

University shuttle improvement plan: Lazaro’s main platform goal is improving and expanding the shuttle system because “it affects every student, whether your have a car or not.” With this plan, he wants to decrease shuttle wait time while also expanding the Coconut Grove shuttle to fraternity row and University Village. Also, Lazaro and his running mates will look into having a Tuesday night shuttle, if there is demand.

Enterprise rental program: Similar to Committed to U’s Zip-Car service, Lazaro said he is looking out for freshmen and other students who do not, or will not, have cars next year. Lazaro noted that the program would be based off of a similar program already running at Emory University in Atlanta.

Green U expansion package: Lazaro said he is bothered everyday by the fact that he doesn’t have easy access to recycling. He plans to work with various campus organizations such as Earth Alert to expand recycling and greening options such as replacing light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.

The Rest

CaneFlix movie rental kiosk; expanded language course offerings; Cane Card use off campus; laptop and color printing; expanded cable package; Chartwells to-go hot liquid cups; improved course offerings; easily searchable scholarship database; healthy food options in vending machines; on-call health center services; Wall Street Journal in the business school; expansion of undergraduate research; major-specific peer advisors; increased salaries for work study employees; expansion of course reserves; back door wellness center entrance; supplement and health plan offerings at the Wellness Center; clear parking signs; case study trips abroad.

Fun Facts

If you could be an animal, what would you be?

“A dog. They have the most personality and they are always happy, and at the end of the day they are always there for you.”

Describe a perfect date:

“Starting off meeting and talking, and then probably lunch for a first date. Just getting to know each other and take it as it goes.”

What would your campaign theme song be?

“If You Believe in Magic” by the Lovin’ Spoonful.

If you could be anyone else on campus for one day, who would that be and why?

“President Shalala. It would be cool to make all the big decisions that really affect students.”

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...