COMMENTARY: Duke triumph one for the ages

It was a truly shocking showdown at the BankUnited Center Wednesday night: A Duke team angry after their first in-conference loss versus a hot-and-cold Miami Hurricanes squad who lost by double-digits on the road earlier in the month. It was clear from the get-go who would win. Only it wasn’t.

Miami’s stifling defense, another great game from Jack McClinton and the performance of a lifetime from new superstar Dwayne Collins gave Miami their first win over Duke since the Kennedy administration.

But the win could not have been without the crowd. As a longtime critic of the fan base in Miami, I must admit that the audience at the BUC on Wednesday was unprecedented. When Lance Hurdle buried his three-point attempt to give Miami a 50-39 lead, the building was as loud as I’ve ever heard it, and it stayed that way the rest of the game.

Even the general admission fans, who are typically a pox on the rooting faithful, were up on their feet. From my spot in the student section, only one disgruntled fan could be seen asking people to sit down in front of him, nearly causing a fight. It’s incidents like that which cause people to question Miami’s fandom.

Unfortunately, not everyone was in such a jubilant mood. Specifically, I’m talking about Andy Frain Services, the security provider for the BankUnited Center. Again, by preventing students from rushing the court to “keep them safe,” they unnecessarily put students in danger by causing a crushing effect in the middle of the crowd. Anyone familiar with the Hillsborough Disaster can attest to the fact that causing a human logjam like that is an easy way to get a lot of people killed. As mentioned more specifically in Zack Loss’ commentary, the security seemed to relish the opportunity to add misery to such a wonderful evening. The bodyslamming should have stopped at last weekend’s Kimbo Slice fight.

To this school’s administration: security must be seriously analyzed, and the possibility of rushing must not be dismissed out-of-hand. Something must be done about this before the injuries become more serious than my bloody toe and bruised legs.

But no matter, the team came up with its biggest assist of the night, when they came to the students when the students couldn’t come to them. The image of Brian Asbury, Jon Stratton and McClinton on top of the baseline table throwing up the U will be forever seared into the memory of any true Canes fan who was at the game.

Treasure these games, fans; they don’t come around too often. Miami’s only beaten a top-five team three times: Connecticut on the road in 1999, and Duke at home way back in 1962. While Miami seeks to find itself when it comes to basketball, any victory over a perennial powerhouse like Duke is to be held close, always remembered and passed down through the generations like a good story should. After wandering through sports purgatory for far too long now, we owe it to ourselves.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...