Canes finish fourth out of twelve at Qdoba Invitational

The women’s golf team hosted the first of two spring golf tournaments with the Qdoba Invitational at the beginning of the week. The Hurricanes finished fourth out of 12 teams during the three-day event at Don Shula’s Golf Course in Miami Lakes.

In the fall, Miami was led by senior Jessica Steward who held a 75.5 stroke average and freshman Christina Hirano with a 75.73 average.

“It felt amazing [being out there again],” said Hirano. “My team and I were very excited to start another season, especially opening it up at home. To see our conditioning coach and other people we know come support us was a thrill.”

On the first round of play, Steward golfed a one-under-par 71 by nailing three birdies and shooting a 34 on the front nine. She closed the day in the lead, tied with University of Kansas freshman Grace Thiry. As a team, the Canes were tied for second with the University of Louisville, four strokes behind the leaders.

Steward shot a 72 on day two to take a three-shot lead over East Carolina freshman Colleen Estes. Hirano, freshman Maria Ronderos, and senior Hagen Weintraub were in a 10-way tie for 17th place.

The final day of competition saw Steward lose her lead to East Carolina sophomore Abby Bools by two strokes. Her final total of 220 put Steward in a three-way tie for second with Kentucky junior Mallory Blackwelder and San Jose State junior Erica Moston. Hirano tied for 18th at 12-over, Ronderos finished 24th at 13-over, Weintraub was 27th with 14-over, and freshman Brooke Stuart rounded out the team at 66th.

Overall, the Canes scored a total of 907 (+43) to finish fourth while ECU, won the championship with a score of 887 (+23), 14 strokes ahead of Louisville.

“I thought our team did a good job for our first tournament of the season,” said Hirano. “We did the best we could. I personally didn’t play as well as I know I could have but that’s golf. I made some bad judgment calls out there and mental errors but I’m not going to make them again. However, I’d like to congratulate Jessica [Steward] on her second place finish.”

Miami will next take part in the John Kirk/Lady Panther Invitational in Stockbridge, Ga., at the end of next month.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...