Canes finish fourth out of twelve at Qdoba Invitational

The women’s golf team hosted the first of two spring golf tournaments with the Qdoba Invitational at the beginning of the week. The Hurricanes finished fourth out of 12 teams during the three-day event at Don Shula’s Golf Course in Miami Lakes.

In the fall, Miami was led by senior Jessica Steward who held a 75.5 stroke average and freshman Christina Hirano with a 75.73 average.

“It felt amazing [being out there again],” said Hirano. “My team and I were very excited to start another season, especially opening it up at home. To see our conditioning coach and other people we know come support us was a thrill.”

On the first round of play, Steward golfed a one-under-par 71 by nailing three birdies and shooting a 34 on the front nine. She closed the day in the lead, tied with University of Kansas freshman Grace Thiry. As a team, the Canes were tied for second with the University of Louisville, four strokes behind the leaders.

Steward shot a 72 on day two to take a three-shot lead over East Carolina freshman Colleen Estes. Hirano, freshman Maria Ronderos, and senior Hagen Weintraub were in a 10-way tie for 17th place.

The final day of competition saw Steward lose her lead to East Carolina sophomore Abby Bools by two strokes. Her final total of 220 put Steward in a three-way tie for second with Kentucky junior Mallory Blackwelder and San Jose State junior Erica Moston. Hirano tied for 18th at 12-over, Ronderos finished 24th at 13-over, Weintraub was 27th with 14-over, and freshman Brooke Stuart rounded out the team at 66th.

Overall, the Canes scored a total of 907 (+43) to finish fourth while ECU, won the championship with a score of 887 (+23), 14 strokes ahead of Louisville.

“I thought our team did a good job for our first tournament of the season,” said Hirano. “We did the best we could. I personally didn’t play as well as I know I could have but that’s golf. I made some bad judgment calls out there and mental errors but I’m not going to make them again. However, I’d like to congratulate Jessica [Steward] on her second place finish.”

Miami will next take part in the John Kirk/Lady Panther Invitational in Stockbridge, Ga., at the end of next month.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...