Brandon Gross // Committed to U

Brandon Gross // Committed to U

Running Mates: Claudia Medina, vice president; Shajena Erazo, treasurer
Year: Junior
Major: Public Relations and Sports Administration
Campaign Web site: VoteBCS.com
Color: Green

Experience

Student Government: speaker of the Senate, executive board member, former speaker pro-tempore, former School of Communication senator

Interfraternity Council: president and former secretary

Sigma Chi fraternity: alumni, ritual and scholarship chairman

President’s 100: executive board member and student ambassador

Platform Goals: Top 3

Online registration and revamping advising: “We’re all here for academics,” Gross said about his primary platform goal. He wants to eliminate the hassles of long lines at the registrar’s office and the stress of running all over campus to track down a professor for a signature. He noted that students at other schools can register online, and he has already discussed the option with Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc, Senior Vice Provost William Green and the academic deans of each college. All agreed that the system “needs to be fixed.”

Zip-Car on-campus car rental: Because freshmen who live on campus will not be allowed to have cars in fall 2008, the Committed to U ticket wants to make sure students without cars can still run errands, pick up friends from the airport or travel somewhere not on the Metrorail line. Gross said the Zip-Car service would be available for $7 to $15 an hour for students ages 18 and older. The contract would be between students and Zip-Car, and the university would act as a third party.

Expanded Green U: All three ticket platforms suggest expanding Green U by installing more recycling bins, but Gross said he will also push for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification in all new buildings on campus and updates to current buildings. This would include changing light bulbs and replacing hand soap with foam soap.

The Rest

Extended Ibis shuttles on Friday to go to Monty’s and CocoWalk; ESPNU in the dorms; additional commuter lots; and extended dining hours until 10 p.m.

Fun Facts

If you could be an animal, what would you be?

“A dog. I’ve never been able to own a dog and I’ve always wanted one.”

Describe a perfect date:

“I love conversation and interacting with people. A perfect date would be nice dinner date where you can talk and have a good time.”

What would your campaign theme song be?

“Simply the Best” by Tina Turner.

If you could be anyone else on campus for one day, who would that be and why?

“President Shalala. That would be awesome – her office is ridiculous.”

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...