A Year of Classic Films Honored this Sunday

The Oscars are on for this Sunday after a long and hard-fought battle with Hollywood’s writers. Now that the strike is over, the night will go on with second-time host Jon Stewart. Tune in to ABC Sunday night at 8 p.m. to see the winners on stage, and for now here are one student’s picks.

Best Picture: “No Country for Old Men.” Look for the Coens’ violent requiem for aging to secure the win over “Juno,” as well as cement itself as the year’s big winner.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis for “There Will Be Blood.” Considering the best actor in the world plays one of the most mesmerizing characters ever put on film, this is a sure thing.

Best Actress: Julie Christie for “Away From Her.” Toss-up between her and Ellen Page for “Juno,” but Oscar will reward age and an outstanding career.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem for “No Country for Old Men.” His turn as the soft-spoken madman fuels his film. Other nominees’ films do not have “No Country’s” renown.

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan for “Gone Baby Gone.” The toughest category to call. Ryan wins because other nominees lack either screen time or their films lack exposure.

Best Director: Joel and Ethan Coen for “No Country for Old Men.” Historically the Oscars’ biggest popularity contest (the last relative unknown to win was Sam Mendes for “American Beauty”), this award will go to the biggest name.

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins for “No Country for Old Men.” Deakins is the first DP in 30 years to be nominated for two films in the same year. Voters will back his better-received picture.

Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody for “Juno.” The dialogue of the film is the engine behind the charm. Plus, the film can’t go home empty-handed.

Best Documentary: “No End in Sight.” This comprehensive and convincing documentary about the Iraq war will strike close to home for many voters.

Best Animated Feature: “Ratatouille.” Because it’s “Ratatouille.”

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...