A Year of Classic Films Honored this Sunday

The Oscars are on for this Sunday after a long and hard-fought battle with Hollywood’s writers. Now that the strike is over, the night will go on with second-time host Jon Stewart. Tune in to ABC Sunday night at 8 p.m. to see the winners on stage, and for now here are one student’s picks.

Best Picture: “No Country for Old Men.” Look for the Coens’ violent requiem for aging to secure the win over “Juno,” as well as cement itself as the year’s big winner.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis for “There Will Be Blood.” Considering the best actor in the world plays one of the most mesmerizing characters ever put on film, this is a sure thing.

Best Actress: Julie Christie for “Away From Her.” Toss-up between her and Ellen Page for “Juno,” but Oscar will reward age and an outstanding career.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem for “No Country for Old Men.” His turn as the soft-spoken madman fuels his film. Other nominees’ films do not have “No Country’s” renown.

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan for “Gone Baby Gone.” The toughest category to call. Ryan wins because other nominees lack either screen time or their films lack exposure.

Best Director: Joel and Ethan Coen for “No Country for Old Men.” Historically the Oscars’ biggest popularity contest (the last relative unknown to win was Sam Mendes for “American Beauty”), this award will go to the biggest name.

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins for “No Country for Old Men.” Deakins is the first DP in 30 years to be nominated for two films in the same year. Voters will back his better-received picture.

Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody for “Juno.” The dialogue of the film is the engine behind the charm. Plus, the film can’t go home empty-handed.

Best Documentary: “No End in Sight.” This comprehensive and convincing documentary about the Iraq war will strike close to home for many voters.

Best Animated Feature: “Ratatouille.” Because it’s “Ratatouille.”

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...