A Year of Classic Films Honored this Sunday

The Oscars are on for this Sunday after a long and hard-fought battle with Hollywood’s writers. Now that the strike is over, the night will go on with second-time host Jon Stewart. Tune in to ABC Sunday night at 8 p.m. to see the winners on stage, and for now here are one student’s picks.

Best Picture: “No Country for Old Men.” Look for the Coens’ violent requiem for aging to secure the win over “Juno,” as well as cement itself as the year’s big winner.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis for “There Will Be Blood.” Considering the best actor in the world plays one of the most mesmerizing characters ever put on film, this is a sure thing.

Best Actress: Julie Christie for “Away From Her.” Toss-up between her and Ellen Page for “Juno,” but Oscar will reward age and an outstanding career.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem for “No Country for Old Men.” His turn as the soft-spoken madman fuels his film. Other nominees’ films do not have “No Country’s” renown.

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan for “Gone Baby Gone.” The toughest category to call. Ryan wins because other nominees lack either screen time or their films lack exposure.

Best Director: Joel and Ethan Coen for “No Country for Old Men.” Historically the Oscars’ biggest popularity contest (the last relative unknown to win was Sam Mendes for “American Beauty”), this award will go to the biggest name.

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins for “No Country for Old Men.” Deakins is the first DP in 30 years to be nominated for two films in the same year. Voters will back his better-received picture.

Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody for “Juno.” The dialogue of the film is the engine behind the charm. Plus, the film can’t go home empty-handed.

Best Documentary: “No End in Sight.” This comprehensive and convincing documentary about the Iraq war will strike close to home for many voters.

Best Animated Feature: “Ratatouille.” Because it’s “Ratatouille.”

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...