TRACK AND FIELD: Fast finishes at Tyson Invitational

Competing at the prestigious Tyson Invitational, Tim Harris proved once again he will be a formidable challenger at next month’s NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Running in the Olympic Development 800-meter Friday night, Harris, a three time All-American, clocked in at 1:48:59 to finish third. His time, an improvement over last week’s 1:50:34 winning effort at the ACC Challenge in Blacksburg, Va., ranks him among the country’s leaders at that distance. Jacob Hernandez of Texas won in 1:47:89, and 19-year-old Andrew Heaney of Toronto was second in 1:48:04.

“He went out in 51,” said Coach Mike Ward. “Overall it was good. He’s probably sixth in the country now, depending how the other meets went, but we won’t have to compete in a qualifier meet [to get to the NCAAs].”

Multi-eventer Roland Dasilva continued his preparation for the ACC Championships heptathlon, running a solid 8.20 in the men’s 60 hurdles, and competing, but registering no official results, in the long jump and pole vault. He also ran a leg on UM’s 4×400 relay team that was disqualified for a lane violation.

Freshman footballer Demarcus VanDyke was solid in both the 60-meter (6.89) and 200-meter (21.82) dash. Though unable to qualify for the finals, his times offered significant promise for the future.

On the women’s side, All-American Krista Simkins ran 52.86 against a strong field in the women’s 400-meter dash to finish second, cementing herself as one of the favorites at the NCAA’s. Only unaffiliated Moya Thompson’s 52.15 was faster.

Viktoria Andonova cleared 1.78 in the women’s high jump championship section, good for a fourth place finish, though far from her 1.87 personal best.

Ena Leufroy ran 2:10:39 to win the women’s section of the 800-meter dash. Her 2:10:39 was competitive with the winning times in both the Championship and Olympic Development sections, but short of the provisional NCAA standard.

Harris was originally scheduled to compete in the Invitational 800m against pros. But after a late mix-up in registration he chose instead to run in the Championship section.

The UM track team next competes at the ACC Championships in Chapel Hill Feb. 28 to March 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C., where Harris will seek to defend his 800-meter crown. The NCAA Championships take place March 14-15 in Arkansas.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...