TRACK AND FIELD: Fast finishes at Tyson Invitational

Competing at the prestigious Tyson Invitational, Tim Harris proved once again he will be a formidable challenger at next month’s NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Running in the Olympic Development 800-meter Friday night, Harris, a three time All-American, clocked in at 1:48:59 to finish third. His time, an improvement over last week’s 1:50:34 winning effort at the ACC Challenge in Blacksburg, Va., ranks him among the country’s leaders at that distance. Jacob Hernandez of Texas won in 1:47:89, and 19-year-old Andrew Heaney of Toronto was second in 1:48:04.

“He went out in 51,” said Coach Mike Ward. “Overall it was good. He’s probably sixth in the country now, depending how the other meets went, but we won’t have to compete in a qualifier meet [to get to the NCAAs].”

Multi-eventer Roland Dasilva continued his preparation for the ACC Championships heptathlon, running a solid 8.20 in the men’s 60 hurdles, and competing, but registering no official results, in the long jump and pole vault. He also ran a leg on UM’s 4×400 relay team that was disqualified for a lane violation.

Freshman footballer Demarcus VanDyke was solid in both the 60-meter (6.89) and 200-meter (21.82) dash. Though unable to qualify for the finals, his times offered significant promise for the future.

On the women’s side, All-American Krista Simkins ran 52.86 against a strong field in the women’s 400-meter dash to finish second, cementing herself as one of the favorites at the NCAA’s. Only unaffiliated Moya Thompson’s 52.15 was faster.

Viktoria Andonova cleared 1.78 in the women’s high jump championship section, good for a fourth place finish, though far from her 1.87 personal best.

Ena Leufroy ran 2:10:39 to win the women’s section of the 800-meter dash. Her 2:10:39 was competitive with the winning times in both the Championship and Olympic Development sections, but short of the provisional NCAA standard.

Harris was originally scheduled to compete in the Invitational 800m against pros. But after a late mix-up in registration he chose instead to run in the Championship section.

The UM track team next competes at the ACC Championships in Chapel Hill Feb. 28 to March 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C., where Harris will seek to defend his 800-meter crown. The NCAA Championships take place March 14-15 in Arkansas.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...