Sports Briefs

Football
Names back on back of jerseys in 2008

Football players will once again have names on the back of their jerseys after a one-season absence in 2007, according to the Miami Herald.
Head Coach Randy Shannon removed the names before the 2007 season in an attempt to build team unity. According to Shannon, the removal did its job, and names will reappear in time for 2008.

Women’s basketball
Signee to play in All-America game

University of Miami signee Shenise Johnson has been selected to play in the 17th annual WBCA Hich School All-America Game.
The game, sponsored by Nike, brings together 20 players together for their accomplishments during the 2007-2008 season.
Johnson, a 5’11” forward from Henrietta, NY, is the No. 16-ranked prospect in the nation according to Hoopgurlz.com, and makes up part of that website’s 25th-ranked incoming class.

Soccer
Hurricanes sign four

The University of Miami women’s soccer program has announced the signings of four players to National Letters of Intent. The signees include North Texas Goalkeeper of the Year Vikki Alonzo, New Jersey all-state midfielder Ashlee Burt, Virginia striker and All-Region Player of the Year Julianne Rickers and Brooke Van Aman, a First Team All-Conference player from Valrico, Florida.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...