SG, Category 5 try to secure Orange Bowl bleacher as school memorabilia

It was a staple of the University of Miami’s second home for 70 years. Now a reminder of the Orange Bowl should have a permanent home on the Coral Gables campus.

A plan is underway to purchase an orange bleacher from the soon-to-be demolished stadium to keep on display on the Coral Gables campus. Category 5, the student spirit organization for Hurricanes sports, has spearheaded these efforts in collaboration with Student Government.

Miami students Brian Borisman and Ely Fernandez each separately came up with the idea to preserve a piece of the Hurricanes football history. Fernandez, who is the football co-chair for Category 5, pitched the idea to the organization’s executive board at a recent meeting, while Borisman e-mailed Student Government President Danny Carvajal.

Carvajal and Category 5 Chair Tony Golino then contacted Miami Athletic Director Paul Dee with the idea, although they have not yet received a response.

“We’re working together to get this bleacher,” Golino said of the efforts. He added that there is no deadline in place to make the purchase.

“We will proceed as soon as we hear back from administration,” Golino said. He added that Student Government could possibly contact President Donna E. Shalala if they don’t hear back from Dee soon.

“[Shalala] usually responds to e-mails fairly quickly,” he said.

The Orange Bowl bleacher would be purchased in an auction. The purchase price is not currently known, as all memorabilia from the stadium is currently being auctioned off by the city of Miami in preparation for the facility’s eventual demolition at some point this year. The bleacher is the first known artifact from the Orange Bowl that the university is attempting to acquire.

According to Golino, funding for the purchase would likely be covered by a combination of Student Government fundraisers and the President’s Fund. He added that the bleacher would best be kept somewhere where it could be seen yet preserved.

“The Hecht Athletic Center would be best,” he said, citing the large display cases for memorabilia there. “It would be best to keep the bleacher somewhere on campus where it will not be destroyed by weather.”

Some students are in support of this initiative, pointing out that the city of Miami hasn’t exactly given much back from the Orange Bowl to those who made it rock year after year.

“I think it’s a wonderful idea,” said Alex Kramer, a sophomore. “[The Orange Bowl is] such an important part of our university’s history. There should have been a way for students to salvage seats, without causing total chaos, of course. It’s a shame they’re just throwing that stuff away.”

“Sounds like a really good idea,” added Aimee Hoover, a sophomore. “It should be displayed in a place where we can see and use it. I’d love to sit on one of those bleachers when I’m studying.”

Dylan Brooks may be contacted at d.brooks3@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...