MORE to ME program tackles body image misconceptions

If you sign on to Facebook right now, chances are one in every two girls you see is battling an eating disorder.

MORE to ME, a new movement dedicated to promoting healthy body image, has conducted research that shows 40 percent of college women in the United States are affected by an eating disorder. This works out to be half the women on Facebook, according to a campus campaign.

With February being National Eating Disorder Awareness Month, the MORE to ME initiative, which aims to change the way women view themselves, has started the first ever online petition that supports the funding of body image programs in schools.

“If you look at the statistics, eating disorders are manifested in high school and college age populations and a lot of the risk factors have to do with things that happen at a younger age,” said Sarah Silverman, a freshman who is the program manager of MORE to ME.

According to the MORE to ME official website, 80 percent of fourth grade girls have been on a fad diet and 81 percent of 10-year-olds are afraid of being fat. The program wants to implement body image programs in schools to help girls cultivate positive body images and self-esteem at a young age.

“By incorporating programming around how to have a healthier body image and self appreciation, you’re helping younger girls develop a strong sense of self which will prevent them from developing an eating disorder later down the road,” Silverman said.

MORE to ME also targets the college-age demographic through Facebook and MySpace. The program has created a Facebook application, as well as badges students can put on their MySpace pages, Web pages and blogs.

Although the program is relatively new, MORE to ME is continually developing. Silverman said she is looking into adding a role model gallery featuring “women that aren’t typically depicted in the media, such as professors, athletes and lawyers.”

To find more information on the MORE to ME program and sign the MORE to ME declaration, visit moretome.org. If you or a friend is struggling with an eating disorder visit the Counseling Center located in building 21-R, across the street from the Student Health Center.

Kendall Sale may be contacted at k.sale@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...