MORE to ME program tackles body image misconceptions

If you sign on to Facebook right now, chances are one in every two girls you see is battling an eating disorder.

MORE to ME, a new movement dedicated to promoting healthy body image, has conducted research that shows 40 percent of college women in the United States are affected by an eating disorder. This works out to be half the women on Facebook, according to a campus campaign.

With February being National Eating Disorder Awareness Month, the MORE to ME initiative, which aims to change the way women view themselves, has started the first ever online petition that supports the funding of body image programs in schools.

“If you look at the statistics, eating disorders are manifested in high school and college age populations and a lot of the risk factors have to do with things that happen at a younger age,” said Sarah Silverman, a freshman who is the program manager of MORE to ME.

According to the MORE to ME official website, 80 percent of fourth grade girls have been on a fad diet and 81 percent of 10-year-olds are afraid of being fat. The program wants to implement body image programs in schools to help girls cultivate positive body images and self-esteem at a young age.

“By incorporating programming around how to have a healthier body image and self appreciation, you’re helping younger girls develop a strong sense of self which will prevent them from developing an eating disorder later down the road,” Silverman said.

MORE to ME also targets the college-age demographic through Facebook and MySpace. The program has created a Facebook application, as well as badges students can put on their MySpace pages, Web pages and blogs.

Although the program is relatively new, MORE to ME is continually developing. Silverman said she is looking into adding a role model gallery featuring “women that aren’t typically depicted in the media, such as professors, athletes and lawyers.”

To find more information on the MORE to ME program and sign the MORE to ME declaration, visit moretome.org. If you or a friend is struggling with an eating disorder visit the Counseling Center located in building 21-R, across the street from the Student Health Center.

Kendall Sale may be contacted at k.sale@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...