MEN’S TENNIS: Canes bounce back, defeat in-state rival Knights

After a tough road loss against Rice University last weekend, the men’s tennis team rebounded with a convincing win against in-state rival Central Florida 6-1 on Friday afternoon.

Wins in two of three doubles matches as well as five of six singles matches carried the Canes, with the sole loss coming in the No. 5 position held by freshman Keith Crowley.

Freshman Carl Sundburg and junior Daniel Vallverdu had great days with a victory as part of the 30th-ranked doubles team and straight-sets wins 7-6, 6-4 and 6-1, 6-1 in singles respectively.

“Obviously it’s always good to win matches again,” Sundburg said. “Last week Rice was playing real well. We got a good start today with doubles wins at No. 1 and 2 and then some of our players won in straight sets in No. 1 and 3 and also 6. It was a good feeling to win a match before our match next Sunday with a good team so I think we have to play better to beat them.”

Senior Vivek Subramanian and junior David Rosenfeld’s 18th-ranked pairing won 8-6 and both won later in the afternoon in singles.

No. 98 Rosenfeld overcame sickness and a tough first set loss to win the next set and tiebreaker in the No. 2 spot against sophomore Johan Beigart. Sophomore Barnabas Carrega, meanwhile, earned the deciding point in the match in the sixth spot with a straight-sets victory.

“We always know that Central Florida is going to bring a really good team to Miami when we play them,” said Head Coach Mario Rincon. “They’re very well-coached and they’re always ready to play us. Schools in Florida always compete extremely hard against each other and they were definitely ready for us today. We played very well in a few spots. I thought that Carl played well and Vivek played extremely well and helped us put some matches away that were really tight. We feel good going into Sunday to play South Florida.”

Sunday’s match against No. 54 South Florida was postponed due to inclement weather and a make-up date has yet to be announced.

The 26th-ranked Hurricanes (5-2) return to action Wednesday against Furman at 2 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...