Fidel Castro relenquishes presidency of Cuba

Fidel Castro has announced he will not return to the presidency of Cuba in a letter to Granma, the island’s state-controlled newspaper.

Castro had ruled uninterrupted until July of 2006, when he transferred power to his brother Raul due to deteriorating health. He had been improving in recent months, and seemed ready to take a more involved role in the government, winning a seat in the country’s parliament last month. There’s no indication whether or not health is a factor in the decision.

The announcement ends 49 years in the position, outlasting nine United States presidential administrations dating back to 1959, when he led an overthrow of the government of Fulgencio Batista.

Stay with The Miami Hurricane with more information on this breaking story and its impact on Miami.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

To read the full text of Fidel Castro’s letter, go to blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...