Alcohol sale vote finalized

Miami city commissioners decided to end alcohol sales in downtown Coconut Grove two hours earlier after a 3-2 vote last Thursday morning.

The new 3 a.m. cutoff will specifically affect CocoWalk, Commodore Plaza and the Streets of Mayfair. The change will be implemented June 30.

Besides Grove residents complaining of late-night violence and noise, Miami City Commissioner Mark Sarnoff said he thinks the change will also improve quality of life.

“You have people driving out at 5:30, 6 o’clock in the morning, passing the school teachers, the nurses [and]the folks that get up early in the morning to go to work,” Sarnoff said in an interview with UMTV. “They are sharing the road with heavily intoxicated people.”

The city is not planning to compensate clubs or bars for any lost revenue that is usually made during the later hours.

“We have invited them to give us their bar tabs from three to five o’clock,” Sarnoff said. “They have come in and said ‘this time is 10 percent of our business,’ then they upped it to 20, then to 30. So we said, ‘instead of telling us, show us.’ So far, no one has stepped up to the plate.”

Sarnoff also noted that this change was not meant to turn college students away from Coconut Grove, and he noted that here are many other venues in Miami open later.

“It’s up to the college students if they think they need to be out until 5 o’clock,” Sarnoff said. “The city of Miami has an entertainment district on 8th street, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th streets that services them 24 hours a day. They are more than welcome to go there and consume until eight in the morning if they like.”

Joanna Suarez and Irma Murillo contributed to this story.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team dropped the opening set befo ...

Miami track and field punched three more tickets to the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships on the final ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...