V-Day: If I don’t celebrate it, it never happened

Boo hoo. You don’t have a Valentine. Get over it already, please, for all of us who try to be happy and have generally pleasant days.

It never fails that every Feb. 14 when I sign onto AIM, every single one of my friends has some sappy away message about not having a Valentine. Maybe I just have depressing friends, but that’s the way it always is.

You know, kids, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a big deal if you don’t want it to be. Compare it to your future 30th birthday. I know on Feb. 28, 2016, I will most likely be found curled up in bed eating lots of cookies and not celebrating. Why? Because I feel like if I don’t celebrate, it never happened.

We can apply this solution to Valentine’s Day: If you don’t have a Valentine, instead of pulling the rest of us down with you into your deep dark hole of despair, just pretend the entire day doesn’t exist. It’s just a period of 24 hours squeezed in between Feb. 13 and Feb. 15.

Or, if you’re like me, use the day to treat yourself to some fabulous stuff you otherwise couldn’t condone spending money on: stuffed animals, ice cream, chocolates or a cute pair of shoes. Even better, buy lots of girly comfort food, grab your girl friends and watch When Harry Met Sally.

My sophomore year, I was single (and lonely), but decided to drive down to Target and buy a stuffed animal since I really like them. I also picked up a bag of candy hearts because they rock. Then I went back to my dorm, ate my candy hearts with my roommate and then we watched a movie. Simple. We used the day to slack and eat candy hearts.

If you’re a guy, buy a pretty girl some flowers. She’ll either fall in love with you immediately or instantly reject you. And if that is the case, grab your guy friends and take a cue from Dane Cook: “Screw chicks tonight, bro, I gotta dance!”

If you are in a relationship and are beginning to feel the pressure of pulling off some miraculous Valentine’s Day extravaganza at the last minute, stop now and re-evaluate your relationship. If you feel pressured into buying some expensive gift or planning an über-romantic night, sit your significant other down and suggest a simpler night. A big price tag doesn’t always equal quality.

My plans for Valentine’s Day? Dinner at home and a movie. There will be some cute cards and candy involved, but other than that, it’s simple, yet effective. I’m so busy the rest of the week that I’m sure my boyfriend will appreciate me not working for one night.

So keep it simple. Don’t stress. Or just pretend the day never existed at all.

Ashley Davidson is a senior majoring in journalism and studio art. She likes candy hearts the best and may be reached at a.davidson2@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...