V-Day: If I don’t celebrate it, it never happened

Boo hoo. You don’t have a Valentine. Get over it already, please, for all of us who try to be happy and have generally pleasant days.

It never fails that every Feb. 14 when I sign onto AIM, every single one of my friends has some sappy away message about not having a Valentine. Maybe I just have depressing friends, but that’s the way it always is.

You know, kids, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a big deal if you don’t want it to be. Compare it to your future 30th birthday. I know on Feb. 28, 2016, I will most likely be found curled up in bed eating lots of cookies and not celebrating. Why? Because I feel like if I don’t celebrate, it never happened.

We can apply this solution to Valentine’s Day: If you don’t have a Valentine, instead of pulling the rest of us down with you into your deep dark hole of despair, just pretend the entire day doesn’t exist. It’s just a period of 24 hours squeezed in between Feb. 13 and Feb. 15.

Or, if you’re like me, use the day to treat yourself to some fabulous stuff you otherwise couldn’t condone spending money on: stuffed animals, ice cream, chocolates or a cute pair of shoes. Even better, buy lots of girly comfort food, grab your girl friends and watch When Harry Met Sally.

My sophomore year, I was single (and lonely), but decided to drive down to Target and buy a stuffed animal since I really like them. I also picked up a bag of candy hearts because they rock. Then I went back to my dorm, ate my candy hearts with my roommate and then we watched a movie. Simple. We used the day to slack and eat candy hearts.

If you’re a guy, buy a pretty girl some flowers. She’ll either fall in love with you immediately or instantly reject you. And if that is the case, grab your guy friends and take a cue from Dane Cook: “Screw chicks tonight, bro, I gotta dance!”

If you are in a relationship and are beginning to feel the pressure of pulling off some miraculous Valentine’s Day extravaganza at the last minute, stop now and re-evaluate your relationship. If you feel pressured into buying some expensive gift or planning an über-romantic night, sit your significant other down and suggest a simpler night. A big price tag doesn’t always equal quality.

My plans for Valentine’s Day? Dinner at home and a movie. There will be some cute cards and candy involved, but other than that, it’s simple, yet effective. I’m so busy the rest of the week that I’m sure my boyfriend will appreciate me not working for one night.

So keep it simple. Don’t stress. Or just pretend the day never existed at all.

Ashley Davidson is a senior majoring in journalism and studio art. She likes candy hearts the best and may be reached at a.davidson2@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...