Under my Umbrella-ella

It’s fair to assume that everyone on the Coral Gables campus has been affected by the assault of nasty weather this week, setting the mood for a gloomy Valentine’s Day. Scanning across any given classroom, you can see that attendance is down and the rest of the student body actually in attendance is rockin’ their stylish new look for upcoming spring break wet T-shirt competitions.

We offer a solution: Official UM umbrella loaning stations located at the entrances of each building on campus. Face it – Suntan U is not always Suntan U.

The setup would be similar to the bike-loan system in Paris. Replace a bicycle rack for an umbrella rack and you have the right idea. Students and faculty would swipe their Cane Cards at the rack to get an umbrella on loan and make their way to a particular destination, be it the library, the UC or dorms. Upon arrival, the borrower would drop it off at the rack at their next location.

To keep people from stealing the umbrellas, they will have a simple microchip inside that registers the umbrella to its user and clears them when it is returned. If the umbrella is not returned, borrowers are charged a fee.

So the next time it rains and you just happen to leave your umbrella in the car, you’d be covered – literally.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...