Under my Umbrella-ella

It’s fair to assume that everyone on the Coral Gables campus has been affected by the assault of nasty weather this week, setting the mood for a gloomy Valentine’s Day. Scanning across any given classroom, you can see that attendance is down and the rest of the student body actually in attendance is rockin’ their stylish new look for upcoming spring break wet T-shirt competitions.

We offer a solution: Official UM umbrella loaning stations located at the entrances of each building on campus. Face it – Suntan U is not always Suntan U.

The setup would be similar to the bike-loan system in Paris. Replace a bicycle rack for an umbrella rack and you have the right idea. Students and faculty would swipe their Cane Cards at the rack to get an umbrella on loan and make their way to a particular destination, be it the library, the UC or dorms. Upon arrival, the borrower would drop it off at the rack at their next location.

To keep people from stealing the umbrellas, they will have a simple microchip inside that registers the umbrella to its user and clears them when it is returned. If the umbrella is not returned, borrowers are charged a fee.

So the next time it rains and you just happen to leave your umbrella in the car, you’d be covered – literally.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...