The real meaning of Valentine’s Day: appreciation

Irritated by all the chubby little bears holding “I love you!” hearts? Barely controlling the urge to strangle the strolling couples holding hands? Grumpy when the cheesy commercials come on TV? Darn right I feel all of those things the week before Valentine’s Day, and most definitely the day of. I tell myself, “Oh it’s a Hallmark holiday.” Why do you need one day to tell the people in your life that you love them? Why do you need to spend all this money on chocolates, stuffed animals and flowers? We will all regret the chocolates as we sweat on some stationary machine at the gym; the stuffed animals will get lost under all the other mess that’s in our room; and the flowers will wilt and wither before we reluctantly throw them away.

The ugly truth about my emotions on Valentine’s Day? I have this overwhelming wistfulness, so much so that all those other emotions like bitterness, jealousy and thriftiness concerning Valentine’s goods are all kind of lurking in the background. The simple theory behind Valentine’s Day, before all businesses and advertisements tried to make a buck, is actually pretty sweet. Just as most holidays have the principles of selflessness and thoughtfulness, what Valentine’s Day really stands for is expressing the emotions you feel, romantically or toward friends or family, through whatever medium you choose.

When we were in elementary school, this usually entailed a box of conversation hearts and a cheesy card that says “Bee mine!” Now, couples go to extremes, with dinners, dozens of roses, jewelry and all that extremely expensive romance. However, I long for the old fashioned romance: the poetry or a single rose or cooking dinner for your significant other. Valentine’s Day makes me think of all that ‘what-if’ stuff – and also makes me wish, in the simplest sense, to have someone to share that with.

Even though I am a little bitter (OK, a heck of a lot bitter. I flip those cheesy commercials pretty darn fast), I have to appreciate the rareness of actually having someone to spend Valentine’s Day with. The truth is that there are way more single people in the world. So, if you have someone to share D-day (oops, I meant V-day) with, then I suggest you appreciate it. And if you don’t, then don’t let go of those what-ifs and feel free to be as bitter as you like.

Padma Sarvepalli is a senior majoring in microbiology. She may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...