Signing Day is the ‘American Idol’ of college football

Last week, the University of Miami was touted by ESPN as the recipient of the number one class in recruiting for college football. Everybody was jumping for joy. except me.

I am a Hurricanes football fan and have been one for a long time. That said, I also love all college football. But over the last few years, something that used to be so miniscule has now become so big that the media and the so-called “experts” give it its own name:
“National Signing Day.”

For those who do not know, signing day is basically a day where all the big-time high school athletes make their decisions about where they will attend college to play in their respective sports.

Unfortunately, the whole day is just another version of “American Idol,” building these kids up to the sky when they have not even stepped on a college football field yet. Remember Kyle Wright?

Everybody wants in on the action of signing day, no matter how good or how bad a player is in high school. An incident happened this past week involving a Nevada high school player who said he was being recruited by both the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Oregon.

The only problem with the story was that it was a lie from the beginning. Kevin Hart, a 6-foot 5-inch, 290-pound lineman, did everything to try to make his family, friends and school think that he was going to a formidable program.

So with all the hype behind signing day, Hart’s high school gave him an all-school assembly to announce his so-called decision. When the news of Hart saying he would play for California was reported by the local newspaper, the lie was quickly unraveled. Both California and Oregon called the newspaper saying they had not recruited Hart; in fact, they had never even heard of him.

Hart finally admitted he made the whole thing up because he wanted to play Division I football “more than anything.” He then went on to say that he “made up what he wanted to be reality.”

It is utterly ridiculous that we have taken sports and made them about personality rather than performance at such a young age. Blame should be handed out evenly between Hart, all the scouting sites like rivals.com and, of course, ESPN, the holiest of holies, for devoting so much time and making a huge fuss about this day.

Now the waiting begins for ESPN to start a new channel devoted entirely to college recruiting 24/7. Oh wait. that already happened with ESPN U.

Ben Brislawn is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and criminology. He may be contacted at b.brislawn@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...