Signing Day is the ‘American Idol’ of college football

Last week, the University of Miami was touted by ESPN as the recipient of the number one class in recruiting for college football. Everybody was jumping for joy. except me.

I am a Hurricanes football fan and have been one for a long time. That said, I also love all college football. But over the last few years, something that used to be so miniscule has now become so big that the media and the so-called “experts” give it its own name:
“National Signing Day.”

For those who do not know, signing day is basically a day where all the big-time high school athletes make their decisions about where they will attend college to play in their respective sports.

Unfortunately, the whole day is just another version of “American Idol,” building these kids up to the sky when they have not even stepped on a college football field yet. Remember Kyle Wright?

Everybody wants in on the action of signing day, no matter how good or how bad a player is in high school. An incident happened this past week involving a Nevada high school player who said he was being recruited by both the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Oregon.

The only problem with the story was that it was a lie from the beginning. Kevin Hart, a 6-foot 5-inch, 290-pound lineman, did everything to try to make his family, friends and school think that he was going to a formidable program.

So with all the hype behind signing day, Hart’s high school gave him an all-school assembly to announce his so-called decision. When the news of Hart saying he would play for California was reported by the local newspaper, the lie was quickly unraveled. Both California and Oregon called the newspaper saying they had not recruited Hart; in fact, they had never even heard of him.

Hart finally admitted he made the whole thing up because he wanted to play Division I football “more than anything.” He then went on to say that he “made up what he wanted to be reality.”

It is utterly ridiculous that we have taken sports and made them about personality rather than performance at such a young age. Blame should be handed out evenly between Hart, all the scouting sites like rivals.com and, of course, ESPN, the holiest of holies, for devoting so much time and making a huge fuss about this day.

Now the waiting begins for ESPN to start a new channel devoted entirely to college recruiting 24/7. Oh wait. that already happened with ESPN U.

Ben Brislawn is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and criminology. He may be contacted at b.brislawn@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...