Med School Briefs

Sylvester Center final destination for new technological device

The University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center was chosen as one of the final sites for the Early Access Counter Analysis System, a genetic analysis system that is based on direct measurement. This new system will allow researchers to effectively integrate more genes across more samples, making it cost effective and less time consuming than conventional methods. The device will be used in the Oncogenomics Core Facilities of the Sylvester Center. Being awarded this unique system puts UM/Sylvester in the prestigious company of only four other university research centers across the country.

Royalty visits Miller School

The Duke of York, Prince Andrew, visited the Miller School of Medicine this past week. The prince spent his morning with Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt, President Donna E. Shalala and a few of the Miller School’s top physicians and scientists in a meeting at the Louis Pope Life Center on the university’s medical campus. Dart Chernow, vice president of special programs and resources strategy and senior executive advisor to the dean, presented plans for the university’s Life Science Park, which plans to bring together research and industry to expedite the movement of ideas from the laboratory to patients. Barth Green, professor and chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at the Miller School, and William Dalton Dietrich, III, scientific director at The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, presented the prince with work pertaining to the advance treatment and prevention of brain and spinal cord injury. Stem cell research was also discussed in depth. Joshua Hare, Louis Lemberg, professor of medicine and chief of the Miller School’s Cardiovascular Division, and Paul Schiller, associate professor of medicine and molecular biology, discussed details on upcoming clinical trials using stem cells for heart failure and other disease therapy. The prince spent the rest of his day at the university touring the school grounds and greeting students.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...