Keep your girl-on-girl dreams in the closet

A few months ago, I had a vivid dream that my roommate and I were making out. It was quite enjoyable so she wanted to take it a step further but I stopped her. Since then, I’ve been fantasizing about what it would be like if I hadn’t stopped her. Now I can’t even be around her, because that’s all I think about when I see her. I have a boyfriend and I’ve never been with a girl. These feelings are so strong that I don’t know what to do. Should I tell her? I’m afraid that she’ll freak and our friendship will never be the same. Help!

~ Going Crazy

Dear Going Crazy,

All things considered, it’s probably best to just keep your crush to yourself. Think about it: You have your friendship on the line here. If you tell her about your dream and then on top of that you tell her that you have been fantasizing about her in a sexual context for months, then that is reason enough to make things weird. Sleeping with (or wanting to sleep with) your roommate goes along the same lines of sleeping with your boss – you’re better off not even going there!

Not only would you put your friendship on the line by telling your roommate about your fantasy, you risk making things uncomfortable at home. If you tell your roommate, she may begin to overanalyze every little thing you do. What does that sly little smile mean? Is she fantasizing about me right now? Is that why she doesn’t mind if I see her naked when she’s getting out of the shower? And the questions begin.

On the flipside, if you do tell her and she is cool with it and you decide to experiment a little bit, more likely than not it’s just a phase for one of you, if not both of you. In which case, you’ll find yourself in that uncomfortable situation already mentioned. Bottom line: too much is at risk.

Maybe your feelings are a sign of something more profound than just a desire for your roommate. What about the dream has interested you so much? Is it the manifestation of your platonic love for your roommate or is it a deeper desire for something you have never experienced? These feelings are a good reason to look within yourself and decide if this is your way of coming out. It’s not to say that just because you have one dream about a girl that means you’re gay. But it is a possibility that you may want to explore before jumping to conclusions with your roommate.

Fact o’ the day: The average person spends two weeks of his or her life kissing.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...