Healthy Cane Column

Oh college, it’s so fun. I get to drink, party AND destroy my liver! Millions of students each year get together and drink until they are holding onto the floor on which they think they are standing. Now getting there may be fun, but there are some serious consequences that you may not think about.

A recent study shows that students who binge drink are 21 times more likely to miss class, fall behind in school work, damage property, get hurt or injure someone else, engage in unplanned sexual activity, forget to use protection when having sex, get in trouble with campus police or drive a car after drinking.

Now most of us know that drinking can lead to a lot of the things listed above, but when was the last time you thought about what binge drinking does to your body?

Binge drinking can lead to several medical side effects that may affect you for the rest of your life. One such side effect is brain damage. Alcohol is a neurotoxin and when consumed in high quantities it can destroy brain cells. Studies show that drinkers have impaired memory and reasoning skills, and their hippocampus, the part of the brain that handles memory and learning, is about 10 percent smaller than non-drinkers’. And we all know how important memory is for things like school, work. and remembering who you hooked up with last night.

Alcohol is also a depressant. You think you’re having fun now, but when you wake up with that hangover and feel like nobody loves you, remember – you did that to yourself.

Another detrimental effect of binge drinking is alcohol poisoning. Severe intoxication causes lack of coordination, blurred or double vision, sometimes stupor and hypothermia, occasionally hypoglycemia, convulsions, depressed reflexes, respiratory depression, hypotension, coma and death. Prolonged binge drinking can cause damage to the esophagus, resulting in acute hemorrhage and acute gastritis, which may cause nausea, vomiting and acute pancreatitis. Other problems that may arise from long-term binge drinking are high blood pressure, strokes, heart disease, breast cancer, oral cancer, skeletal muscle damage and decreased liver function. Binge drinking can also lead to a wide range of social, emotional and economic problems.

So the next time you try to do a naked, inverted keg stand then pound a water bottle full of orange flavored Smirnoff, think about what you’re doing to your body and your mind! You may not care now but when your having your stomach pumped or getting a sponge bath by some orderly named Ralf, don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...