Harris attempts to qualify for NCAA

Tim Harris continues his preparation for next month’s NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark. He’ll be running at the Tyson Invitational, one of the premiere meets on the U.S. indoor schedule. He will run in the Men’s Invitational 800-meter dash at 8:55 p.m., against a strong, evenly-matched field that includes four pros.

It will be Harris’ second 800-meter dash of the year. Last Saturday at the ACC Challenge in Blacksburg, Va., he won in 1:50:34, taking control at the midway point. Though it qualified him provisionally for the March 14-15 NCAA Championships (also in Fayetteville), Head Coach Mike Ward felt the first half of the race, which he completed in 55 seconds, could have been faster.

Harris’ teammates will compete Saturday in the college portion of the meet, preparing for the ACC Championships Feb. 28 through March 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Ward said Elan Daviglus and Roland DaSilva also have chances to qualify for the NCAA meet, but will need to beat personal bests to get there. Hurdlers Les Bradley and Cory Nelms are also close.

The meet is hosted by the University of Arkansas, currently the most powerful men’s track and field and cross-country program in America.

Ward and Harris have ambitious goals for 2008, choosing judiciously only meets of consequence leading to the NCAA Outdoor Championships and U.S. Olympic Trials, where Harris hopes to be a contender.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...