Harris attempts to qualify for NCAA

Tim Harris continues his preparation for next month’s NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark. He’ll be running at the Tyson Invitational, one of the premiere meets on the U.S. indoor schedule. He will run in the Men’s Invitational 800-meter dash at 8:55 p.m., against a strong, evenly-matched field that includes four pros.

It will be Harris’ second 800-meter dash of the year. Last Saturday at the ACC Challenge in Blacksburg, Va., he won in 1:50:34, taking control at the midway point. Though it qualified him provisionally for the March 14-15 NCAA Championships (also in Fayetteville), Head Coach Mike Ward felt the first half of the race, which he completed in 55 seconds, could have been faster.

Harris’ teammates will compete Saturday in the college portion of the meet, preparing for the ACC Championships Feb. 28 through March 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Ward said Elan Daviglus and Roland DaSilva also have chances to qualify for the NCAA meet, but will need to beat personal bests to get there. Hurdlers Les Bradley and Cory Nelms are also close.

The meet is hosted by the University of Arkansas, currently the most powerful men’s track and field and cross-country program in America.

Ward and Harris have ambitious goals for 2008, choosing judiciously only meets of consequence leading to the NCAA Outdoor Championships and U.S. Olympic Trials, where Harris hopes to be a contender.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...