Harris attempts to qualify for NCAA

Tim Harris continues his preparation for next month’s NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark. He’ll be running at the Tyson Invitational, one of the premiere meets on the U.S. indoor schedule. He will run in the Men’s Invitational 800-meter dash at 8:55 p.m., against a strong, evenly-matched field that includes four pros.

It will be Harris’ second 800-meter dash of the year. Last Saturday at the ACC Challenge in Blacksburg, Va., he won in 1:50:34, taking control at the midway point. Though it qualified him provisionally for the March 14-15 NCAA Championships (also in Fayetteville), Head Coach Mike Ward felt the first half of the race, which he completed in 55 seconds, could have been faster.

Harris’ teammates will compete Saturday in the college portion of the meet, preparing for the ACC Championships Feb. 28 through March 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Ward said Elan Daviglus and Roland DaSilva also have chances to qualify for the NCAA meet, but will need to beat personal bests to get there. Hurdlers Les Bradley and Cory Nelms are also close.

The meet is hosted by the University of Arkansas, currently the most powerful men’s track and field and cross-country program in America.

Ward and Harris have ambitious goals for 2008, choosing judiciously only meets of consequence leading to the NCAA Outdoor Championships and U.S. Olympic Trials, where Harris hopes to be a contender.

Krishen Rangi may be contacted at k.rangi@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...