Former Cane returns to slice up the competition at mixed martial arts fight

Mixed martial arts fighter and former University of Miami student Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson will return to UM to fight David Lee “Tank” Abbott Saturday at the BankUnited Center. The fight will be featured as the main event of the night that begins at 7:30 p.m.

“I don’t think nothing about Tank,” Slice said on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. “To fight Tank now, I’m looking forward to that.”

This will be Slice’s third fight as a member of Elite Extreme Combat, the mixed martial arts league. Currently, Slice boasts a 2-0 record after defeating Bo Cantrell, in a bout that lasted 19 seconds, and Ray Mercer.

Mixed martial arts is a full-contact combat sport that mixes boxing, kickboxing, striking, wrestling and submission fighting. In the last several years it has become increasingly popular.

Slice, 34, was a Miami-based street fighter before he took up mixed martial arts. He made his MMA debut on June 23, 2007.

Originally from the Bahamas, Slice attended Miami Palmetto Senior High where he became the ninth-ranked linebacker in the nation for football. He later attended UM on an academic scholarship, but stayed for little over one year. Slice now resides in Miami with his family.

The Elite Extreme Combat event will feature some of the best fighters in mixed martial arts, including Florida natives Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett and Edson Berto. The opening bouts will be streamed on proelite.com starting at 7:30 p.m. and the main event can be seen on Showtime at 10 p.m.

Tickets for the fight are still available and range from $60 to $600.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...