Former Cane returns to slice up the competition at mixed martial arts fight

Mixed martial arts fighter and former University of Miami student Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson will return to UM to fight David Lee “Tank” Abbott Saturday at the BankUnited Center. The fight will be featured as the main event of the night that begins at 7:30 p.m.

“I don’t think nothing about Tank,” Slice said on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. “To fight Tank now, I’m looking forward to that.”

This will be Slice’s third fight as a member of Elite Extreme Combat, the mixed martial arts league. Currently, Slice boasts a 2-0 record after defeating Bo Cantrell, in a bout that lasted 19 seconds, and Ray Mercer.

Mixed martial arts is a full-contact combat sport that mixes boxing, kickboxing, striking, wrestling and submission fighting. In the last several years it has become increasingly popular.

Slice, 34, was a Miami-based street fighter before he took up mixed martial arts. He made his MMA debut on June 23, 2007.

Originally from the Bahamas, Slice attended Miami Palmetto Senior High where he became the ninth-ranked linebacker in the nation for football. He later attended UM on an academic scholarship, but stayed for little over one year. Slice now resides in Miami with his family.

The Elite Extreme Combat event will feature some of the best fighters in mixed martial arts, including Florida natives Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett and Edson Berto. The opening bouts will be streamed on proelite.com starting at 7:30 p.m. and the main event can be seen on Showtime at 10 p.m.

Tickets for the fight are still available and range from $60 to $600.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...