Step show, Gospel Explosion continue month-long Black Awareness effort

With “gospel explosions” and step show competitions, students kicked off Black Awareness Month last week with music, dancing and a month-long itinerary of events.

So far, students have participated in the Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant, opening ceremonies, a Gospel Explosion and most recently the Greek Extravaganza step show at Gusman concert hall on Friday night.

The step show, which featured dances performed by members of black Greek letter organizations, centered around the month’s theme – “Evolution of Black.”

After four hours of intense stepping, first place went to the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority and the Iota Phi Beta fraternity. The Iota Phi Beta boys came from Johnson & Wales University and were pleased to rank above UM fraternities.

“I wasn’t going to accept anything less than that win, that $1,000, that trophy,” said Michael Turner, a junior from Iota Phi Beta.

For anyone who missed Friday’s step show, United Black Students, whose members sponsor and host Black Awareness Month events, still have 12 more activities planned for the month of February. Some of these events include the annual fashion show and a community service outing.

UBS has also planned some new events this year, including the “Harlem Speaks” charity banquet this Saturday, which will feature live jazz, dance, poetry and an auction.

Erin Butherus may be contacted at e.butherus@umiami.edu.

Some upcoming events

-“HIV 201: The Female Academic” on Feb. 12 at the Wesley Center at 7:30 p.m.

-“Harlem Speaks” charity banquet on Feb. 16 in the School of Communication courtyard at 7 p.m.

-“Déj

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...