Step show, Gospel Explosion continue month-long Black Awareness effort

With “gospel explosions” and step show competitions, students kicked off Black Awareness Month last week with music, dancing and a month-long itinerary of events.

So far, students have participated in the Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant, opening ceremonies, a Gospel Explosion and most recently the Greek Extravaganza step show at Gusman concert hall on Friday night.

The step show, which featured dances performed by members of black Greek letter organizations, centered around the month’s theme – “Evolution of Black.”

After four hours of intense stepping, first place went to the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority and the Iota Phi Beta fraternity. The Iota Phi Beta boys came from Johnson & Wales University and were pleased to rank above UM fraternities.

“I wasn’t going to accept anything less than that win, that $1,000, that trophy,” said Michael Turner, a junior from Iota Phi Beta.

For anyone who missed Friday’s step show, United Black Students, whose members sponsor and host Black Awareness Month events, still have 12 more activities planned for the month of February. Some of these events include the annual fashion show and a community service outing.

UBS has also planned some new events this year, including the “Harlem Speaks” charity banquet this Saturday, which will feature live jazz, dance, poetry and an auction.

Erin Butherus may be contacted at e.butherus@umiami.edu.

Some upcoming events

-“HIV 201: The Female Academic” on Feb. 12 at the Wesley Center at 7:30 p.m.

-“Harlem Speaks” charity banquet on Feb. 16 in the School of Communication courtyard at 7 p.m.

-“Déj

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...