Sports Briefs

Baseball
Four Hurricanes earn pre-season honors

The pre-season respect for the Hurricanes’ baseball team did not stop at the polls, as it continued when pre-season All-Americans were named by Baseball America. The Hurricanes led all teams with the three first team selections of juniors Yonder Alonso, Dennis Raben and Jemile Weeks. Junior Blake Tekotte was named to the third team.

Soccer/Volleyball
Hurricanes earn All-ACC Academic Team honors

The University of Miami women’s soccer and volleyball teams continue to excel on and off the field. Recently, five members of the soccer team – seniors Lauren McAdam and Sheuneen Ta and freshmen Brittney Macdonald, Lauren Singer and Brittney Steinbruch – and three members of the volleyball team – senior Ciara Michel, junior Bridget Bomhack and freshman Maria Andersson – were honored with All-ACC Academic team honors.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...