Shannon names President Shalala as his recruiting MVP

When football Head Coach Randy Shannon faced the media last Wednesday to discuss his new recruiting class, one reporter asked who his “MVP” was; who was most important in capturing ESPN’s No.1 ranked class?

Michael Barrow, the rookie linebackers coach who made such an impact in Miami-Dade County? Clint Hurtt, the defensive line coach with recruiting abilities second to none? Without skipping a beat, Shannon gave his answer: Donna Shalala. Chuckles could be heard in the room.

President Shalala? The five-foot tall woman known more for her expertise in the field of health than the field of football? For Shannon, there was no doubt. For Shalala, the praise came as a shock.

“I talked to him last night and said, ‘What are you talking about?'” Shalala said in a phone interview Thursday night. “‘People are going to think I’m not doing my job!'”

Shalala’s work isn’t exactly selling the football program per se, but selling the school around it. It’s a tradition that dates back to her time at the University of Wisconsin.

“Coach [Barry] Alvarez said he wouldn’t take the job unless he had my full support,” Shalala said. “And that meant selling recruits on the school. I never heard of anyone else doing it until I got to Wisconsin.”

Shalala not only sees recruits from football, but from every sport that requests to get some of her time. Shalala says she’s had some experience in the field.

“Today I saw three different recruits, and none of them were athletes. They were all professors we’re trying to recruit,” Shalala said. “Since I’m an excellent recruiter of faculty and deans, it translates well.”

Despite not receiving the accolades, Coach Hurtt could not agree more when asked about the unorthodox pick following Coach Shannon’s press conference.

“She does an unbelievable job,” Hurtt said. “Parents say the most impressive thing is sitting down with President Shalala.”

She’s had her work cut out for her this recruiting season, as Coach Shannon put together one of the most ambitious recruiting classes seen at Miami in many years. Including all sports, she spoke to about three dozen families over the course of the past year, many of those with the football team. Despite her effort, she doesn’t accept the enormous recognition given to her by Shannon.

“I take pride, but I don’t take any credit. They worked as hard as any people I know,” Shalala said. “At the end of the day, these young men want to play for Randy Shannon, want to be at the University of Miami.”

Ultimately, by taking on this unique role in the football program, Shalala’s simply trying to fulfill her duty as president: improving UM.

“I’m a very junior member of the recruiting squad over there; whatever I can do to make us a better university I’m in favor of,” she said.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...