Jack Johnson’s new album doesn’t fix what ain’t broken

Sleep Through the Static is a fitting title for Jack Johnson’s latest CD. The opening track “All At Once” will surely put you to sleep – not in a bad way – with its slow, heavy bass and contemplative lyrics, such as “Which way will you run/When it’s always all around you.” It does not seem far off from Johnson’s last album, Curious George: Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies.

It’s ironic how Johnson sings, “Sometimes it feels like the heart is no place to be singing from at all,” in this first song because it he is doing exactly that in every song, except the title track, which delivers such thought-provoking lines as, “Shock and awful thing to make somebody think/That they have to choose pushing for peace supporting the troops.”

Unlike his past three solo albums, this one doesn’t score as big on the catchy tunes. The only track that can draw comparisons to Brushfire Fairytales’ “Flake” and In Between Dream’s “Sitting, Waiting, Wishing” is the current single “If I Had Eyes.” There is no escaping the addictive “oohs” at the end of the song, which will stay in your head all day. Johnson certainly has a knack for making miraculous sounds without even opening his mouth. Check out more of Johnson’s “ooh’s” in “Angel,” a perfect love song that you will not know how you ever lived without.

Just like his previous three albums, listeners can rely on Sleep Through the Static for quotable lyrics and chill background music for any occasion. Johnson took his raw, acoustic song making to the next level with this album, which was recorded entirely with solar energy.

Meanwhile, for anyone looking to join Johnson in helping the environment, the green singer/songwriter has created the All At Once Campaign – an effort to improve the environment through connecting activists and non-profit groups. AllAtOnce.org is a social action network that helps individuals aid their local environment and the world, and is set to be launched on March 1.

Kimberly Rubenstein can be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...