Group aims to shine light on ‘invisible children’ on Red Hand Day

A group of University of Miami students are doing their part to end the suffering of child soldiers around the world.

Invisible Children, a club started by students last semester, is participating in Red Hand Day on Tuesday to raise global awareness of the struggle of child soldiers in countries such as The Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, and Uganda.

Red Hand Day, which began on Feb. 12, 2002, was created by the United Nations to commemorate The Optional Protocol to the Convention of the Rights of the Child Treaty, which guarantees all children’s right to be protected from armed conflict. Since 2002, more than 97 countries have participated in events to show their support.

Invisible Children club members will be distributing red hand patches in the UC breezeway on Tuesday to promote awareness. The patches will have a picture of Africa and a Red Hand-the universal symbol for the movement.

“The main goal of our club is to raise awareness and funds for the children,” said Chelsea Werner, a member of Invisible Children. “We’re trying to bring awareness to child soldiers around the world.”

Club members also plan to show the movie, “Invisible Children,” which was made by three men from southern California – all in their early 20s – in 2003. The movie, which highlights the plight of child soldiers in Uganda, has been shown on campus before, but this year, club members hope to have a member of the film staff at the showing to answer questions.

“Right now our executive board is more of a programming board. We’re setting up the movie viewing, which is our main event and goal for our campus this semester,” Werner said.

Invisible Children members, along with students involved with Red Hand Day, want to get the word out about this global problem. They urge everyone to simply pass on information and educate others to make a difference.

“I think it’s important for college students everywhere to get involved,” said Melissa McBride, another club member. “This is a young movement and I think that young people have the power to make a change. It’s important to be a part of it.”

Christa Ruggiero may be contacted at c.ruggiero@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...