Events Beat

Twisted Tuesdays at the Rathskeller host capoeira club

Dressed in all white with colored rope belts tied around their waists, a group of 12 capoeira performers of different backgrounds sang, danced, kicked, clapped and performed cartwheels and back flips Tuesday night at the Rat as part of Twisted Tuesdays entertainment. Approximately 30 onlookers observed the Afro-Brazilian capoeiristas’ acrobatic motions and intricate footwork. Though some performers were UM students, the group is not affiliated with the university. Rather it was a performance team which visits several schools in the area and trains out of the Academy of Martial Arts in Coconut Grove.

Prolific author lectures on urban, environmental challenges

Saskia Sassen, a centennial visiting professor at the London School of Economics and sociology professor at Columbia University, spoke on the topic of “Reassembling the City” Thursday night at the Glasgow Lecture Hall of the Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center. More than 100 students, professors, and community members came to listen to the well-traveled Sassen, who has written numerous books regarding globalization and global cities. Sassen concluded the lecture with a discussion of sea level rise due to global warming and its impact on global cities. She asserted, “If we are going to respond to the environmental challenge, we must all do it, rich and poor.” The event was sponsored by UM’s new Urban Studies program and the School of Architecture.

Corporate preparation seminar advises on resumes at Toppel

Students take notes while learning how to properly write resumes at Toppel Career Center’s “Are You Corporate Ready?” seminar on Wednesday evening.

“Prevention is Power” forum discusses HIV/AIDS awareness

The Broward County Health Department hosted a community forum for National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day on Feb. 7 with the theme of “prevention is power.” At the forum, attendees discussed prevention initiatives, current research toward solutions and awareness of the prevalence of the virus. According to the Florida Department of Health, one in 44 blacks in Miami-Dade County are living with HIV or AIDS.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...