America needs less, not Moore, healthcare

Michael Moore’s claim that there is something wrong with American medicine is correct. But the problem isn’t healthcare. Well, it actually is a problem, but I have healthcare so I don’t care. More importantly, this morning I went to my doctor’s office for my 9:30 a.m. appointment. They called me in at 10 a.m., and the doctor didn’t even see me until closer to 10:30 a.m.. In fact, I don’t think a doctor has ever seen me on time.

People without healthcare – there are barely 47 million of them – don’t have to worry about waiting to see a doctor. (I hear that waits are even longer in other parts of the world, but this is America, the only relevant part of the world.) I don’t understand why doctors cannot be punctual. They help the same amount of people regardless of whether they see them at the scheduled time or an hour or two later. The system is inherently flawed.

The process begins when you call your doctor and make an appointment. The woman – I mean person – who answers the phone writes down your name on a piece of paper, cuts out your name and puts it in the hat for the day you requested. Every morning, patients’ names are pulled out of that day’s hat, and that is the order in which they are seen. If you don’t believe me, next time you go to the doctor check where they claim to keep their “files.” You’ll find a storage room full of hats. (This does not apply to orthodontists. Their patients are treated based on the amount of fear in their eyes.)

People without healthcare coverage don’t suffer through this ordeal. Luckily for them, they get almost no preventive care and therefore only see a doctor when they become sick, typically in an emergency room. Emergency rooms are much more advanced than a normal physician’s office: instead of a hat per day, they have one per hour.

Other industries could not get away with this. Imagine an airline whose flights take off hours after their scheduled times, (perhaps we could call these flights “delayed”) or a movie that begins fifteen minutes late (we could refer to this time as “previews”).

I’ve heard some people suggest socialized medicine as the solution. It makes sense to me: if the government provides healthcare coverage for everyone, (fatally) long waits and scarce supplies would reduce the U.S. population, thus leading to fewer people in physicians’ offices. Unfortunately, I don’t think this will work. In fact, there doesn’t seem to be any easy solution. One thing is clear: the current system needs an overhaul and America does not want to wait any longer for it.

Anthony Vega is a sophomore majoring in finance and English. He may be contacted at a.vega7@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...