UPDATE: Grogg withdraws application for Syracuse position

POSTED FEB. 8 AT 11:23 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is not going anywhere, he told faculty in an e-mail Friday morning.

“For too many days we have been distracted by the possibility of my leaving the SoC,” the message says. “That is not going to happen. I have withdrawn my candidacy for the Newhouse dean position.”

He visited Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Public Communications two weeks ago for interviews and to talk with a group of students. Grogg was one of two finalists, the other being the current journalism school dean at the University of Texas.

Before he visited Syracuse, Grogg told The Miami Hurricane he had no intention of leaving Miami.

“My consideration of the move came completely out of personal reasons and never was or is based on any negativity about our great School and your stellar work,” he says in the e-mail.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

Greg Linch

Former editor in chief (2007-2008)

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...