UPDATE: Grogg withdraws application for Syracuse position

POSTED FEB. 8 AT 11:23 A.M.

Sam L Grogg, dean of the School of Communication, is not going anywhere, he told faculty in an e-mail Friday morning.

“For too many days we have been distracted by the possibility of my leaving the SoC,” the message says. “That is not going to happen. I have withdrawn my candidacy for the Newhouse dean position.”

He visited Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Public Communications two weeks ago for interviews and to talk with a group of students. Grogg was one of two finalists, the other being the current journalism school dean at the University of Texas.

Before he visited Syracuse, Grogg told The Miami Hurricane he had no intention of leaving Miami.

“My consideration of the move came completely out of personal reasons and never was or is based on any negativity about our great School and your stellar work,” he says in the e-mail.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu.

Greg Linch

Former editor in chief (2007-2008)

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...