Student attacked while jogging on outskirts of campus

A University of Miami senior was attacked on Feb. 2 around 7:15 p.m. while jogging along the 5300 block of Carillo Street, part of a popular running route for students known as the “loop.”

The offender came from the side and seized her by the shirt where she wore her iPod. The unexpected force caused her to fall. On the way down, the perpetrator grabbed her arm, tearing all of the ligaments in her left shoulder, the victim said.

“The whole thing was really weird,” said the victim, an accounting major set to graduate this summer.

Once she was down, he smashed her face into the ground multiple times while asking for money, but took neither her iPod nor her Blackberry.

The victim didn’t get a good look at the man because she was listening to her iPod and didn’t hear him coming from the side, but noted that she didn’t think he was a fellow student.

“When he asked for money, he sounded older,” she said.

The senior had no money with her and the assailant left. She got up and ran to a main road, called a friend to pick her up and then notified the police of the attack.

“I just wanted to get out of the area,” she said.

The victim, who runs the loop at least once a week, said she will most likely not run it again.

The crime notification e-mail sent out to students on Monday classified the crime as simple battery. The victim, who spoke with The Miami Hurricane on the condition of anonymity, now wears a sling and her face is cut and bruised.

“They called me while they were writing [the alert], but I didn’t give them many details,” she said. “I was still in so much pain.”

Pat Cunnane may be contacted at p.cunnane@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...