Student attacked while jogging on outskirts of campus

A University of Miami senior was attacked on Feb. 2 around 7:15 p.m. while jogging along the 5300 block of Carillo Street, part of a popular running route for students known as the “loop.”

The offender came from the side and seized her by the shirt where she wore her iPod. The unexpected force caused her to fall. On the way down, the perpetrator grabbed her arm, tearing all of the ligaments in her left shoulder, the victim said.

“The whole thing was really weird,” said the victim, an accounting major set to graduate this summer.

Once she was down, he smashed her face into the ground multiple times while asking for money, but took neither her iPod nor her Blackberry.

The victim didn’t get a good look at the man because she was listening to her iPod and didn’t hear him coming from the side, but noted that she didn’t think he was a fellow student.

“When he asked for money, he sounded older,” she said.

The senior had no money with her and the assailant left. She got up and ran to a main road, called a friend to pick her up and then notified the police of the attack.

“I just wanted to get out of the area,” she said.

The victim, who runs the loop at least once a week, said she will most likely not run it again.

The crime notification e-mail sent out to students on Monday classified the crime as simple battery. The victim, who spoke with The Miami Hurricane on the condition of anonymity, now wears a sling and her face is cut and bruised.

“They called me while they were writing [the alert], but I didn’t give them many details,” she said. “I was still in so much pain.”

Pat Cunnane may be contacted at p.cunnane@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...