Patio Jams sound sweet to students

Patio Jams, a popular weekly fixture on the UC Patio provides a welcome break from classes and allows music junkies or passers-by to get their live-music.

Patio Jams, which began as Friday Jams in the early 90s, is an event sponsored by Hurricane Productions that showcases student bands, as well as local regional and national talent.

Parker Smith, Patio Jams chair, focuses on finding rock, punk and jazz bands from all over the country.

“In the past, we’ve had bands from all over, including a group from Israel we brought in with cooperation from Chabad, a Jewish student group on campus,” Smith said.

Previous performances have included The Lee Boys, an African-American steel ensemble, who’s group members performed at last year’s Langerado Music Festival in Fort Lauderdale. This semester’s line-up includes the Heavy Pets and the Spam All-Stars, which are national acts that tour South Florida music venues.

An average week at Patio Jams attracts between 80 and 120 students, but could possibly attract more if the noon time slot wasn’t also a popular class time.

“I mostly see it walking by on my way to class,” said sophomore Brent Goldman, who has seen the patio entertainment once or twice. “The energy is always great with the sunshine and live music.”

Smith said scheduling is difficult due to the hectic class schedules on campus. However, scheduling conflicts aside, resounding opinion on campus is in favor of Patio Jams.

“I really think Patio Jams is a good stage for many UM bands to get recognized for their talents,” sophomore Harry Portnof said. “I’ve been to a few and I’d say I have no complaints. It’s always a good time.”

Today, Patio Jams will feature Tavern, a cover band comprised of Smith and fellow Frost School of Music students Vic Garcia, Ross Carlson, Lou Dura, Dan Hammler and Ryan Gregg.

Andi Wandt may be contacted at a.wandt@umiami.edu.

UPCOMING PATIO JAMS

Feb. 7 – Tavern

Feb. 14 – The Heavy Pets

Feb. 21 – Shak Nasti

Feb. 28 – Tuesday Night Squad

March 20 – Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes

March 27 – The Soulphonics