Noles chop Canes, continuing slump

Coming off two consecutive losses on the road, the men’s basketball team failed to capitalize on their first game back at home. The Miami Hurricanes lost to the Florida State Seminoles 62-55 on Wednesday night.

Jack McClinton led the Hurricanes (15-7, 2-6 ACC) in scoring with 16 points. FSU (13-10, 2-6 ACC) was led by point guard Toney Douglas, who scored 28.

Coming into the game, both teams were in desperate need of a win. The Hurricanes had lost five of their previous six games, while the Seminoles were on a three-game losing streak, dropping six of their last seven.

“It’s a tough loss,” said Miami Head Coach Frank Haith. “We lost a home game that we needed to win.”

Despite the game’s importance, both teams came out flat in the first half, consistently turning the ball over and shooting the ball poorly. The Hurricanes went the first six and a half minutes without a field goal, and finished the half shooting a dismal 31 percent from the field.

Florida State wasn’t much better. Despite recording five blocks in the first half, the Seminoles only shot 37 percent themselves. The two teams combined for a whopping 20 turnovers in the first half alone.

After taking a 30-25 lead into the half, Florida State managed to play better in the second half. The Seminoles went on an 11-0 run to take an eight point lead with under 10 minutes remaining. The Canes tried to make a late run, cutting the lead to three with 34 seconds left in the game. But FSU made the most of their late free-throw opportunities.

“I thought we beat a very good team tonight,” said Florida State Head Coach Leonard Hamilton. “I thought our players, out of respect for them, did a real good job defending.”

Inability to score plagued the Hurricanes, who ended up shooting 31 percent in the game. Their 55 points scored tied their lowest point total all season.

Another major factor to their loss was the lack of production from their post players. Dwayne Collins and Jimmy Graham combined for only eight points, while Anthony King was scoreless, attempting only one shot.

“We didn’t get anything out of our post players,” Haith said. “It really puts a strain on our perimeter guys.”

That pressure was evidenced by McClinton’s shooting struggles. Despite leading the team in scoring, McClinton shot a disappointing 4-for-15 from the field. His partner in the backcourt, James Dews, fouled out while shooting only 2-for-8.

Miami will go back on the road this weekend to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies on Saturday.

“We’ve just got to play better, that’s all it comes down to,” McClinton said. “We’ve got to put this game behind us.”

Joel Brown may be reached at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...