Inject some logic into football signing day

Wednesday was National Signing Day, a high holiday in the world of college football. Fans gather around their computers and glue their eyes to rivals.com or scout.com to see which school 17- or 18-year-olds decide to attend. It’s probably different from your process, where it was only your parents and your Aunt Janet watching.

But this process, so revered in college football, is impure. In fact, it’s downright shameful. High school coaches act like pimps, trying to sell their players to the highest bidder (although money isn’t exchanged. usually).

The players, meanwhile, string along the coaches, the programs and their fan bases. They jump between schools like they’re trying to decide what to have for lunch. Even the most dignified college coaches are reduced to groveling messes just to keep the kids that are supposed to sign with them.

The best example this year is Patrick Johnson. Now signed to Louisiana State University, he was once a UM commit, flashing the U and saying he looked forward to contributing to the program. But that all changed so quickly. He chose LSU because he felt UM wasn’t “showing him enough love.”

It’s about love? Does he want someone to cuddle with? This is football, not The Dating Game. We must respect the right to choose, but we must not allow the right to play thousands of people like fools.

The solution? Multiple signing periods. Yes, it would make the sacred signing day less holy, but it makes so much sense. Junior college students can sign early, so why not everyone else? All it would do is inject a whole lot more logic into the process, preventing prima donnas like Johnson and the former Cane Willie Williams from hijacking the recruiting process. But, of course, like everything else in college football (cough. BCS. cough), insanity is the desired endgame.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...