Three strikes, you’re out: New loan key policy in residential colleges and apartment area

Students who fear financial penalties for losing their room keys can rest easy now that the loan key policy has been revised. Each resident will receive three “courtesy” loan key issuances per academic year at no charge.

Beginning with the fourth loan key issuance and each issuance thereafter, a service charge of $15 per loan key request will take effect. This policy applies to daytime desk staff hours, between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

However, the policy differs during security staff hours, between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. During these hours, a loan key will not be issued. Instead, the resident’s room will be unlocked by a security supervisor in a process called the “lockout.” Each lockout performed results in a $15 overnight service charge regardless of the number of times the service is utilized.

This policy was passed after discussions with University of Miami Student Government, representatives from the Department of Residence Halls and students. Questions or concerns regarding this policy can be addressed by each dorm’s residence coordinator.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...