Three strikes, you’re out: New loan key policy in residential colleges and apartment area

Students who fear financial penalties for losing their room keys can rest easy now that the loan key policy has been revised. Each resident will receive three “courtesy” loan key issuances per academic year at no charge.

Beginning with the fourth loan key issuance and each issuance thereafter, a service charge of $15 per loan key request will take effect. This policy applies to daytime desk staff hours, between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

However, the policy differs during security staff hours, between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. During these hours, a loan key will not be issued. Instead, the resident’s room will be unlocked by a security supervisor in a process called the “lockout.” Each lockout performed results in a $15 overnight service charge regardless of the number of times the service is utilized.

This policy was passed after discussions with University of Miami Student Government, representatives from the Department of Residence Halls and students. Questions or concerns regarding this policy can be addressed by each dorm’s residence coordinator.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...