Student newspaper is too negative, cynical

To the editors:

As a devoted Hurricane reader, I am disappointed by the continuing trend in poor reporting and writing that you and your staff have exhibited this school year. You promote an inaccurate, negative image of our Student Government that reflects poorly on you and the student community. You tactlessly condone sarcastic cynicism, breeding a sense of defeatism and isolation in our students. The vast majority of your articles contains [sic] little or no insightful views. Disregarding content, the simple grammatical mistakes your writers often make indicate to any student that the article was written during one sitting without spell check. The editorials are little more than insipid personal opinions consisting of ineffective arguments devoid of substantial supporting evidence. In the article “Cast chats with The Hurricane about their monster hit” [from the last issue], you didn’t even bother to edit a quote which needlessly dropped the f-bomb. Do you understand that controversial words do not equal controversial content? As a reader, I don’t expect you to always write of peaches, sunshine and fluffy clouds, but I am tired of an antagonistic newspaper that always reports f-ing peaches, f-ing sunshine and f-ing fluffy clouds. I say this because, as students of this great university, I know you can learn from your mistakes and do a better job.

– Katherine Herleman
Sophomore

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...