Student newspaper is too negative, cynical

To the editors:

As a devoted Hurricane reader, I am disappointed by the continuing trend in poor reporting and writing that you and your staff have exhibited this school year. You promote an inaccurate, negative image of our Student Government that reflects poorly on you and the student community. You tactlessly condone sarcastic cynicism, breeding a sense of defeatism and isolation in our students. The vast majority of your articles contains [sic]little or no insightful views. Disregarding content, the simple grammatical mistakes your writers often make indicate to any student that the article was written during one sitting without spell check. The editorials are little more than insipid personal opinions consisting of ineffective arguments devoid of substantial supporting evidence. In the article “Cast chats with The Hurricane about their monster hit” [from the last issue], you didn’t even bother to edit a quote which needlessly dropped the f-bomb. Do you understand that controversial words do not equal controversial content? As a reader, I don’t expect you to always write of peaches, sunshine and fluffy clouds, but I am tired of an antagonistic newspaper that always reports f-ing peaches, f-ing sunshine and f-ing fluffy clouds. I say this because, as students of this great university, I know you can learn from your mistakes and do a better job.

– Katherine Herleman
Sophomore

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...