Student internships increasingly leading to jobs

A growing number of students are seeking internships as a way to gain real world experience and stay afloat in a competitive job market, research shows.

A recent graduate study found that approximately 60 percent of University of Miami students had some form of experiential education during college years and that number is growing, said Jenna Stewart, assistant director of internships at the Toppel Career Center.

Stewart said internships give students a glimpse of what the professional world is like. “Internships are the most important thing in finding a job or finding out what you want to do,” Stewart said. “There is only so much learning you can have in a classroom.”

David Wander, a senior, applied for an internship with Universal Music Company his sophomore year.

“I sent in my resume, and by luck I was called back,” Wander said. He also noted that he had always wanted a job in the music industry and an internship seemed to him like the first step. “It puts you out in the field, makes you do things you wouldn’t ordinarily do and gets your hands dirty a little,” he said.

After Wander’s summer internship was successfully completed, he was asked to continue as an employee of Fontana Distribution, a branch of Universal.

The 2006 Experimental Education Survey conducted by the National Association for Colleges and Employers (NACE) found that 86.6 percent of interns nationally continue as full-time employees. Also, companies are increasing the number of interns hired.

Internships are increasingly becoming the entry points to recruitment, creating more competition for entry-level jobs, Stewart said.

“It is important to discover whether you truly love a profession while you are a student rather than [during]your first job,” she said.

Internship experience for senior Nicholas Warnick, helped him realize just that. Warnick landed an internship with First Investors, a company that sells mutual funds.

“I realized I didn’t want to have a job in business,” he said.

Warnick’s overall experience however, was a positive one.

“It teaches you not only good job experience but good life experience as well,” he said.

Toppel holds a number of programs to assist students seeking internships such as Internships 101 and the fall and spring career expos.The 2008 Toppel Career Expo is Wednesday, Feb 13, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Wellness Center.

Karunya Krishnan may be contacted at k.krishnan@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...