Playground Theatre recreates Alice in Wonderland for children’s charity

Is going to a tea party with a crazy man, a deaf hare and a narcoleptic mouse not your idea of a typical Sunday afternoon? Then you missed out on an amazing event.

Lewis Carroll’s book “Alice in Wonderland” came alive as the Playground Theatre of Miami Shores hosted an Alice in Wonderland themed tea party at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove Saturday. The event helped raise money for the theater’s Education & Community Outreach Program. The first annual Mad Hatter’s Tea Party was definitely a success for the program, raising over $30,000 to benefit children in the greater Miami area.

Guests at the event literally entered through a rabbit hole, which was a portal shining with fiber lights and decorated with items from the book, such as framed pictures, small doors and porcelain teacups.

Sixth Star Productions took the Alice theme to the next level, with appearances by the Cheshire Cat and even Alice herself. Children in their Sunday’s best were the stars of the party, with stations and activities set up throughout the afternoon for them. Oversized, glittered top hats also decorated each table atop a giant spring.

Canapés were served with the beverage of the day, tea, and during dessert guests were treated to a sneak peek of the Playground Theatre’s “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” which premieres at the Playground Theatre March 14.

Following the performance was a fashion show as well as a live auction, both of which raised significant amounts of money for the Playground Theatre’s Outreach Program.

Though the crowd in attendance consisted of mostly adults, the children, combined with the whimsical nature of the festivities, transformed all of the guests into kids once again. One man in attendance was even spotted posing with the Cheshire Cat. Guests of all ages visited each of the stations, taking pictures with characters from the play, choosing balloon animals, making “Mad Hatter Hats,” playing croquet and even getting their faces painted.

Many students look for something different to do on the weekends, and this event was a perfect example of a sweet escape from the typical college student’s weekend plans. No alcohol or strobe lights and dancing necessary. Check out events which seem the complete opposite of your usual fare, and you might be surprised by what’s going on around town. You may even have the chance to be a kid again, like at the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party.

Valerie Marks may be contacted at v.marks@umiami.edu

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...