Playground Theatre recreates Alice in Wonderland for children’s charity

Is going to a tea party with a crazy man, a deaf hare and a narcoleptic mouse not your idea of a typical Sunday afternoon? Then you missed out on an amazing event.

Lewis Carroll’s book “Alice in Wonderland” came alive as the Playground Theatre of Miami Shores hosted an Alice in Wonderland themed tea party at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove Saturday. The event helped raise money for the theater’s Education & Community Outreach Program. The first annual Mad Hatter’s Tea Party was definitely a success for the program, raising over $30,000 to benefit children in the greater Miami area.

Guests at the event literally entered through a rabbit hole, which was a portal shining with fiber lights and decorated with items from the book, such as framed pictures, small doors and porcelain teacups.

Sixth Star Productions took the Alice theme to the next level, with appearances by the Cheshire Cat and even Alice herself. Children in their Sunday’s best were the stars of the party, with stations and activities set up throughout the afternoon for them. Oversized, glittered top hats also decorated each table atop a giant spring.

Canapés were served with the beverage of the day, tea, and during dessert guests were treated to a sneak peek of the Playground Theatre’s “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” which premieres at the Playground Theatre March 14.

Following the performance was a fashion show as well as a live auction, both of which raised significant amounts of money for the Playground Theatre’s Outreach Program.

Though the crowd in attendance consisted of mostly adults, the children, combined with the whimsical nature of the festivities, transformed all of the guests into kids once again. One man in attendance was even spotted posing with the Cheshire Cat. Guests of all ages visited each of the stations, taking pictures with characters from the play, choosing balloon animals, making “Mad Hatter Hats,” playing croquet and even getting their faces painted.

Many students look for something different to do on the weekends, and this event was a perfect example of a sweet escape from the typical college student’s weekend plans. No alcohol or strobe lights and dancing necessary. Check out events which seem the complete opposite of your usual fare, and you might be surprised by what’s going on around town. You may even have the chance to be a kid again, like at the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party.

Valerie Marks may be contacted at v.marks@umiami.edu

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

Adria Soriano Barrera checks in at No. 21, Bojan Jankulovski ranks No. 51 and Francisco Bastias rise ...