Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant part of Black Awareness Month activities

Grace and talent are not the only virtues in common among some University of Miami students – they also share a desire to win.

During last Thursday’s Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant five students competed in an annual pageant keeping with “The Evolution of Black,” theme for Black Awareness Month

“This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, president of the United Black Students, the organization that sponsored the event.

The contestants had to answer questions that were relevant to the black community such as “How can African-Americans use their economic influence to reemerge as a significant and productive population in America?”

Richina Bicette and Jasmine Brooks, two of the contestants, entered a tie-breaker round during which they answered a question about Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.

Bicette was the competition’s winner.

The Contestants

Richina Bicette: Obstetrician-Gynecologist
Jasmine Brooks: Public Relations graduate
Asia Davis: member of Congress
Vintaya Crawford: Medical student
Tierra Fair: Talk show host

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...