Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant part of Black Awareness Month activities

Grace and talent are not the only virtues in common among some University of Miami students – they also share a desire to win.

During last Thursday’s Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant five students competed in an annual pageant keeping with “The Evolution of Black,” theme for Black Awareness Month

“This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, president of the United Black Students, the organization that sponsored the event.

The contestants had to answer questions that were relevant to the black community such as “How can African-Americans use their economic influence to reemerge as a significant and productive population in America?”

Richina Bicette and Jasmine Brooks, two of the contestants, entered a tie-breaker round during which they answered a question about Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.

Bicette was the competition’s winner.

The Contestants

Richina Bicette: Obstetrician-Gynecologist
Jasmine Brooks: Public Relations graduate
Asia Davis: member of Congress
Vintaya Crawford: Medical student
Tierra Fair: Talk show host

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...