Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant part of Black Awareness Month activities

Grace and talent are not the only virtues in common among some University of Miami students – they also share a desire to win.

During last Thursday’s Miss Black and Gold Scholarship Pageant five students competed in an annual pageant keeping with “The Evolution of Black,” theme for Black Awareness Month

“This pageant is a symbol of our pride for the achievements the African Diaspora has contributed to society,” said Islamiyat Adebisi, president of the United Black Students, the organization that sponsored the event.

The contestants had to answer questions that were relevant to the black community such as “How can African-Americans use their economic influence to reemerge as a significant and productive population in America?”

Richina Bicette and Jasmine Brooks, two of the contestants, entered a tie-breaker round during which they answered a question about Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.

Bicette was the competition’s winner.

The Contestants

Richina Bicette: Obstetrician-Gynecologist
Jasmine Brooks: Public Relations graduate
Asia Davis: member of Congress
Vintaya Crawford: Medical student
Tierra Fair: Talk show host

Frost School of Music’s faculty and staff members and students utilize their talents to help unify t

Rudy Fernandez, senior vice president for public affairs and communications at the University of Mia

Hope is an elusive concept, but it is a crucial feeling to hold on to at a time of crisis. During th

Members of the Muslim Students of the University of Miami celebrate the holy month while adhering to

A University of Miami faculty member offers tips on how to preserve healthy work-life practices as w