Let students decide how to use the lake

Lake Osceola is a central part of all of our lives. Walking around it, watching the jumping fish, having water blown in your face from Cobb Fountain, it affects us all. But one activity is noticeably absent – jumping in the lake.

Don’t wade, don’t swim and don’t boat. As long as you don’t actually enter the water, everything’s fine. Just ask the “Drunken Idiots” (see The Miami Hurricane, Nov. 11, 2005) and they’ll tell you that swimming in the lake can get you in quite a bit of trouble.

Miami is known as a tropical paradise. One of UM’s greatest assets is the lake, providing a beautiful backdrop to any picture. But students can’t utilize its full potential. There is a history of students diving into the murky waters of Lake Osceola without fear of persecution.

Sure, there are alligators (Or crocodiles? Or both?). And the water isn’t the most appealing. But why can’t students make the choice to swim in the lake by themselves?

And what about boating? Boats used to be rented out, allowing students a nice, relaxing lap around the lake. Now, the lake is bare, save for the occasional UNICCO worker motoring around.

And while we’re at it, why don’t we allow some scuba diving? We’re less than two hours away from the dive capital of the world, Key Largo, so why don’t we try to capitalize on that? Can you find the Volkswagen? Or maybe Ben Folds’ drum set? Or the remnants of the first homecoming burning boat ceremony? Maybe you could collect old beer bottles? It’s a treasure hunt!

As always, change must come slowly. Don’t run out and buy a dive suit just yet. But wouldn’t it be nice to get your toes a little wet without going to Key Biscayne?

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...