Let students decide how to use the lake

Lake Osceola is a central part of all of our lives. Walking around it, watching the jumping fish, having water blown in your face from Cobb Fountain, it affects us all. But one activity is noticeably absent – jumping in the lake.

Don’t wade, don’t swim and don’t boat. As long as you don’t actually enter the water, everything’s fine. Just ask the “Drunken Idiots” (see The Miami Hurricane, Nov. 11, 2005) and they’ll tell you that swimming in the lake can get you in quite a bit of trouble.

Miami is known as a tropical paradise. One of UM’s greatest assets is the lake, providing a beautiful backdrop to any picture. But students can’t utilize its full potential. There is a history of students diving into the murky waters of Lake Osceola without fear of persecution.

Sure, there are alligators (Or crocodiles? Or both?). And the water isn’t the most appealing. But why can’t students make the choice to swim in the lake by themselves?

And what about boating? Boats used to be rented out, allowing students a nice, relaxing lap around the lake. Now, the lake is bare, save for the occasional UNICCO worker motoring around.

And while we’re at it, why don’t we allow some scuba diving? We’re less than two hours away from the dive capital of the world, Key Largo, so why don’t we try to capitalize on that? Can you find the Volkswagen? Or maybe Ben Folds’ drum set? Or the remnants of the first homecoming burning boat ceremony? Maybe you could collect old beer bottles? It’s a treasure hunt!

As always, change must come slowly. Don’t run out and buy a dive suit just yet. But wouldn’t it be nice to get your toes a little wet without going to Key Biscayne?

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...